21 synonyms that will make you sound smarter
The words we use can have a huge impact on our lives. Our word choices can undermine our success or indicate higher levels of stress, but they can also help us reach our goals and impress people like potential employers.
It may have been a while since you've practiced SAT words, but expanding your vocabulary opens up new possibilities for expressing yourself at any stage of life.
Definition: extremely preoccupied with and indulgent of one's feelings, desires, etc.
Sounds smarter than: self-absorbed, narcissistic
Definition: to make obscure or unclear
Sounds smarter than: confuse, complicate
Definition: lacking interest, care, or enthusiasm
Sounds smarter than: lazy, careless
Definition: mental or emotional stability or composure, especially under tension or strain
Sounds smarter than: chill, calm
Definition: excessively particular, critical, or demanding; hard to please
Sounds smarter than: picky, demanding
Definition: unwilling to spend money or use resources
Sounds smarter than: cheap, stingy
Definition: imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance
Sounds smarter than: confidence, tact
Definition: self-evident, requiring no proof
Sounds smarter than: obvious
Definition: a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest
Sounds smarter than: boredom
Definition: glaringly vivid or sensational
Sounds smarter than: shocking
Definition: a vague or unfocused feeling of mental uneasiness, lethargy, or discomfort
Sounds smarter than: depression, despair
Definition: a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation or criticism
Sounds smarter than: attack
Definition: lacking courage or resolution
Sounds smarter than: cowardly, timid
Definition: to speak pompously
Sounds smarter than: brag, lecture
Definition: ornate or florid in speech, literary style, etc.
Sounds smarter than: flamboyant
Definition: extremely willful; obstinate
Sounds smarter than: stubborn
Definition: causing or tending to cause disgust or aversion through excess
Sounds smarter than: sappy, cheesy
Definition: a self-seeking, servile flatterer
Sounds smarter than: suck-up, brownnoser
Definition: to pretend illness, especially in order to shirk one's duty, avoid work, etc.
Sounds smarter than: taking a "sick day"
Definition: tearfully or weakly emotional; foolishly sentimental
Sounds smarter than: weepy
Definition: beginner or novice
Sounds smarter than: newbie, amature
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Discovery Vitality is starting to demand that you tag out of gyms as well as into them – to stop fake, no-exercise visits
- Order the wrong size pizza from Debonairs and you could pay up to 43% extra – here’s how to get the most pizza for the least money
- We visited a new high-tech, R300-a-visit clinic – and it’s a great way to get a quick sick note
- South African gamers are flocking to this R7 million premium gaming lounge – where Fortnite parties are all the rage
- A mystery trader just made a massive bet that could lose R7 billion if the US market turn
- New videos of the farthest object humanity has ever explored show that it flips like a giant hourglass
- People are petitioning Google to remove a gay conversion therapy app