Nike just dropped a moving ad featuring a 9-year-old Serena Williams
- Nike used a home movie of a 9-year-old Serena Williams in an unmissable ad for the US Open.
- The clip features Williams and her father, Richard Williams, who can be heard telling her to imagine she is at the US Open — a tournament she has now won an incredible six times.
- The clip closes with the words: "It's only crazy until you do it. Just do it."
Serena Williams takes centre stage in an unmissable Nike ad released during the 2018 US Open.
But the ad is no ordinary sports promo. Nike used a home movie of a 9-year-old Williams with her father, Richard Williams, who can be heard encouraging her and telling her to imagine she is at the US Open — a tournament she has now won an incredible six times.
The ad starts with Richard leaning forward on his knees, giving instructions to his young daughter. The precocious Serena then throws a tennis ball in the air and looks set to serve it. The clip then cuts to more recent footage while still featuring the motivational audio from her father, who tells her to play "like you're at the US Open".
The ad shows a jubilant Richard celebrating his daughter's success — and when Serena spots him in the crowd, she immediately celebrates too.
Watch the Nike clip below:
Serena, a 23-time Grand Slam champion, is one of the greatest tennis players of all time.
She has played in eight tournaments since taking time away from the sport last year to give birth to her daughter, Alexis Olympia Ohanian jnr.
You can catch her in action in a round-of-32 match on Friday where she will meet her sister Venus Williams in an all-Williams showdown.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- MTN investors lost billions in less than an hour – and this may be the final straw
- SA tech entrepreneur arrested in New York amid shocking allegations of how he may have lied and cheated to get money
- New York has been renamed 'Jewtropolis' on Snapchat and other popular apps
- We tried chips from McDonald's, Steers and other takeaway joints - and the winner was clear
- The 31-year-old teacher who beat 30,000 people to become the world champion of public speaking explains exactly how she did it