A dog received a lifesaving kidney donation from one of her puppies
- A few years ago, Star and her 13 puppies were found abandoned in a box in southern Missouri, in the US. All of them were severely malnourished.
- Only nine of Star's puppies survived. Eventually, all the dogs were adopted by families in the St Louis area, including Star, who recovered from advanced kidney failure.
- Over the American summer, Star again experienced severe kidney failure, and could only be saved by a kidney transplant.
- Star's owner, Shannon Flegle, reached out to the family of one of star's puppies, Elsa. They immediately agreed to help Elsa's mom, and she donated one of her kidneys. Both dogs are doing well.
In today's heartwarming dog news, a doggy mom received a lifesaving kidney transplant from one of her puppies, after both were rescued from an abandoned box on the side of the road.
A few years ago, Star and her 13 puppies were rescued from starvation. Only nine of her puppies survived, and Star herself was experiencing advanced kidney failure. Miraculously, she recovered and was adopted by Shannon Flegle and her family.
But over the US summer, Star again experienced symptoms of kidney failure, including vomiting and listlessness, and she refused to eat.
Desperate, Flegle reached out to the Murrays, who had adopted one of Star's puppies years ago, and named her Elsa. Jenny Murray immediately agreed, but also asked her kids if they would be okay with Elsa undergoing the surgery. "This is Elsa's chance to save her mom, and they're like, 'Oh so she's a hero!'" Murray told Fox 2 of her children's reaction.
Elsa successfully donated her kidney, and now both dogs are expected to make a full recovery, and "live normal lives."
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Vodacom’s data prices fell 16.4% in six months – and the customers are streaming in
- These are SA's top YouTube channels, including kids shows and a Brakpan man with pet tigers
- These are the 16 liquor brands rich Africans like best – including a R1,649 Japanese whiskey
- This is the ‘fainting’ dance craze taking SA by storm – and no, Limpopo is not lining up extra ambulances
- SA has 'the most representative flag' in Africa – here's why
- This is officially what the new Macbooks and iPads will cost in SA
- Watch: 10 of world's most interesting cultural rituals - including jumping over babies and a Japanese penis festival