- Pick n Pay ‘launched’ an in-app function which allows customers to taste and smell food through their phone.
- The date was a bit of a giveaway.
- The video of people smelling their phones is hilarious.
Pick n Pay on Monday, 1 April, announced it had developed an in-app function that allows users to taste and smell food on their cellphones.
And the video of people smelling their phones is hilarious.
The prank was one of the most elaborate attempted on the day in South Africa, with the retailer going so far as publishing press releases, tweets – and a marketing video featuring its staff smelling their phones.
In the press release the retailer said it spent two years developing the "TasteTech" technology to become the first smell-o-vision app in the world, but that it would only be available on April 1 for cell phones two years and younger.
The first product up for tasting would be the PnP salted caramel hot cross bun (sugar, wheat and diary free) and with no limit to the number of times customers could taste it.
The app would ‘calibrate your taste buds’ asking you to lick the screen with your tongue.
Users on twitter were quite impressed.
Wow ?? ..— Msebenzisa Mashona (@msevana) April 1, 2019
The retailer went as far as to publish a behind the scenes video on its YouTube channel.
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Bruce Whitfield:
- Your pension plan may just have received its biggest boost in two decades
- SA bosses! Here’s a radical idea: be nice
- Banking options are popping up like mushrooms – and that's great for everyone
- Why the Budget doesn’t go far enough
- How Tiger Brands bullies businesses who use words like 'jungle' or 'tiger