The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and their son Archie are now official residents of Santa Barbara.

  • Meghan Markle and Prince Harry have purchased their first home together in a bid to maintain financial independence from the royal family.
  • The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have moved from their temporary home in Los Angeles to Santa Barbara, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed to Insider.
  • "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year," the spokesperson said.
  • "They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family."
  • Visit Insider's homepage for more stories.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have taken the next step towards financial independence and purchased their first home together.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry moved into their new property in Santa Barbara, California in July, a spokesperson for the couple confirmed to Insider.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex moved into their family home in July of this year. They have settled into the quiet privacy of their community since their arrival and hope that this will be respected for their neighbors, as well as for them as a family," the spokesperson said in a statement.

It's thought to be the first time Harry and Markle have purchased a property together.

The couple were previously living in Tyler Perry's eight bedroom, 12 bathroom mansion in Beverly Hills after spending a short sabbatical on Vancouver Island, Canada as they negotiated their exit from the royal family.

They resided in Frogmore Cottage in Windsor, UK during their time as working royals. The property was gifted to them by the Queen, and will remain their official residence when they spend time in the UK.

However, as part of their official agreement to cease their roles as working royals, the couple requested that they become financially independent from the royal family.

In May it was reported that the duke and duchess started making payments towards Frogmore Cottage as part of the plan to pay back the millions in taxpayer funds that went toward refurbishing the property.

According to the Mail on Sunday, the couple agreed to pay R380,000 per month, despite not permanently living in the UK since November last year.

Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.

Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.

Also from Business Insider South Africa: