China reported no new local coronavirus cases for the first time during the outbreak
- China reported no new domestic cases of the coronavirus, Chinese health officials reported on Thursday local time.
- This is the first report with no new domestic cases since the outbreak began in the country late last year.
- The coronavirus has infected more than 215,000 worldwide, with a majority of cases in China, where the outbreak originated.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
China reported no new domestic cases of the coronavirus, a first since the outbreak began in the country late last year, Chinese health officials reported on Thursday local time.
The National Health Commission reported 34 new cases in the region but said all involved people who came to China from abroad.
As of Thursday, China reported more than 81,000 and over 3,000 deaths in the country. The epicenter of the outbreak is believed to be the city of Wuhan, located in the Chinese province of Hubei.
See also: Covid-19 update: bars must now close at 6PM; spreading fake news with intent can mean jail
The country imposed an unprecedented lockdown on tens of millions of people living in China when the outbreak gripped the country earlier this year.
Since the outbreak began, the coronavirus has infected more than 215,000 worldwide, with a majority of cases in China, where the outbreak originated. The global death toll from the virus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, has surpassed 8,700.
The World Health Organization officially declared the coronavirus a pandemic last week as it spread to more than 150 countries. Italy, the second hardest hit country by COVID-19, reported its highest single-day death toll on Thursday, with 475 people dying from the disease.
The coronavirus has prompted several countries around the world to implement countrywide lockdowns - shutting down their borders and closing all stores except for pharmacies and grocery stores.
The US has more than 9,000 confirmed cases across all 50 states and 150 deaths, but the true number of infected is likely different than the reported due to the lack of available testing in the country.
For more information direct from the source, see also:
- the National Institute for Communicable Disease (NICD)
- the latest statements issued by the national government
- the Twitter stream of health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize
- the World Health Organisation's Covic-19 outbreak page
the NICD hotline for Covid-19 is: 0800-029-999.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- 'Finger licking': Nando's asks KFC to rather reach for soap amid coronavirus
- Want a friendly divorce? You may have to wait till at least May, due to the novel coronavirus
- Covid-19: Uber Eats will now deliver for free over lunch for South Africans working from home
- Virgin Active Active abandons 50% freeze fee in light of coronavirus
- The cheapest seat on a flight from Cape Town to London right now is going for R13 005
- Mango, SAA, Kulula and British Airways are now offering free rebooking on flights due to coronavirus