The viral story of a man holding hands with a 96-year-old woman during their flight because she was scared of flying is warming people's hearts
- An anonymous man comforted a 96-year-old woman seated next to him on a cross-country flight.
- The woman had not flown in 15 years, according to a Facebook post that has since gone viral, and the man held her hand when she got anxious.
- He even helped her to the bathroom and off the plane and waited for her to reunite with her family before parting ways.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider South Africa.
In a Facebook post, Ashley shared the truly heartwarming story of watching an unidentified man react when a scared 96-year-old woman sat down next to him.
"On my flight from San Diego to Nashville today, sitting in the row next to me was a 96-year-old woman who hasn't flown in 15 years," Ashley wrote in a now viral Facebook post.
According to Ashley, all the woman wanted to do for her birthday was fly to Kansas City to see her family. However, she was extremely nervous about flying. During the flight, the elderly woman reached over and asked the man seated next to her if he would hold her hand during takeoff. She then hugged him again during turbulence.
"This gentleman I should say, gladly took her hand, let her hold onto him, calmed her by talking to her and explaining everything that was happening, and simply was that stranger there for her," she wrote. "He knew just what to do the entire flight to help."
Ashley said, the man assisted the woman to and from the bathroom during the flight, and comforted her throughout any bumps along the way. "It made me smile the whole flight as he comforted her," she wrote.
At the end of their journey, the man helped her with her baggage, and walked her off the plane to an awaiting wheelchair. He stayed with her until she was reunited with her daughter following the flight.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A South African CEO took a lie detector test as a publicity stunt – now his investment company's ad has been banned
- These are all the Burger King restaurants in South Africa that will no longer be halaal from September
- We tried the new coffee-flavoured Coke, which is now on sale in South Africa. It surprised us
- 'Don't deport Melania' goes viral after Trevor Noah devises a joke conspiracy theory
- Boris Johnson is reportedly honing his skills on the golf course, and it may help the UK secure a trade deal with Trump
- Carrol Boyes wanted her brand to live on ‘long after I'm gone’. Here’s how the former teacher built a global business