21 synonyms that will make you sound smarter
- Instead of saying that someone is "picky" or "demanding," call them "fastidious."
- If someone is always confident, they possess lots of aplomb.
- "Axiomatic" is a fancy way of saying "obvious."
The words we use can have a huge impact on our lives. Our word choices can undermine our success or indicate higher levels of stress, but they can also help us reach our goals and impress people like potential employers.
It may have been a while since you've practiced SAT words, but expanding your vocabulary opens up new possibilities for expressing yourself at any stage of life.
Definition: extremely preoccupied with and indulgent of one's feelings, desires, etc.
Sounds smarter than: self-absorbed, narcissistic
Definition: to make obscure or unclear
Sounds smarter than: confuse, complicate
Definition: lacking interest, care, or enthusiasm
Sounds smarter than: lazy, careless
Definition: mental or emotional stability or composure, especially under tension or strain
Sounds smarter than: chill, calm
Definition: excessively particular, critical, or demanding; hard to please
Sounds smarter than: picky, demanding
Definition: unwilling to spend money or use resources
Sounds smarter than: cheap, stingy
Definition: imperturbable self-possession, poise, or assurance
Sounds smarter than: confidence, tact
Definition: self-evident, requiring no proof
Sounds smarter than: obvious
Definition: a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety or lack of interest
Sounds smarter than: boredom
Definition: glaringly vivid or sensational
Sounds smarter than: shocking
Definition: a vague or unfocused feeling of mental uneasiness, lethargy, or discomfort
Sounds smarter than: depression, despair
Definition: a bitter, sharply abusive denunciation or criticism
Sounds smarter than: attack
Definition: lacking courage or resolution
Sounds smarter than: cowardly, timid
Definition: to speak pompously
Sounds smarter than: brag, lecture
Definition: ornate or florid in speech, literary style, etc.
Sounds smarter than: flamboyant
Definition: extremely willful; obstinate
Sounds smarter than: stubborn
Definition: causing or tending to cause disgust or aversion through excess
Sounds smarter than: sappy, cheesy
Definition: a self-seeking, servile flatterer
Sounds smarter than: suck-up, brownnoser
Definition: to pretend illness, especially in order to shirk one's duty, avoid work, etc.
Sounds smarter than: taking a "sick day"
Definition: tearfully or weakly emotional; foolishly sentimental
Sounds smarter than: weepy
Definition: beginner or novice
Sounds smarter than: newbie, amature
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We compared the prices of food essentials at Woolworths, Pick n Pay, Spar, Checkers, and Shoprite
- As Eskom continues to grapple with unplanned outages, these graphs show why a breakdown at Medupi could cripple South Africa
- Burger King is trolling Prince Harry with a job offer
- Expert tips on how to get a job in SA this year – including creating your own experience
- Want an extra online-shopping discount in South Africa? Try walking away for a day or three.
- What you need to know about the new Woolworths CEO, who's from Joburg and runs Levi's in the US