- Woolworths is launching a "drive-through" option at some of its stores, with the promise that you'll never have to leave your car.
- At the selected outlets, staff will bring click-and-collect orders, placed online, to specially designated parking bays, the group says.
- Like its peers, Woolworths has been struggling to cope with huge demand for home delivery during the Covid-19 disaster. Capacity on the new drive-thru option will be in increased over time, Woolworths says.
- For more stories go to the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
Woolworths will now be offering a "drive-through" service at 15 of its stores, where it promises customers will never have to get out of their cars.
Instead, staff will deliver orders straight to the boot, at specially designated parking bays.
For the stores where it is available (see list below), such parking-lot delivery will be added as an option to click-and-collect orders, online orders that previously had to be collect in store.
Much like home delivery, collection will be assigned a specific time slot.
Payment is online prior to collection, so there is no need for contact between staff and customers.
Woolworths, like many of its peers, has been struggling with unprecedented demand for home delivery of food and essentials during the Covid-19 disaster. The group says it has increased its delivery capacity by half again since the start of South Africa's lockdown. However, slots for delivery remain nearly impossible to book, snapped up as soon as they become available.
A drive-thru service is expected to scale better than home delivery.
These are the Woolworths stores where click-and-collect orders will be brought to your car by staff.
- Fourways Mall
- The Club Waterkloof
- Ballito Junction
- La Lucia
- Palmyra Road
- The Sanctuary
- West Coast Mall
- Plattekloof Village
(Compiled by Phillip de Wet)
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South Africa is getting a special three-digit phone number for Covid-19 emergencies
- Celeb chef loses her essential services permit after dinner delivery
- Petrol stations ask South Africans to wear masks in stores
- Almost 30% of SA's super rich studied law
- Discovery members can now book into an 'isolation hotel' at a reduced rate