- A 36-year-old woman in Indiana was found dead Wednesday with a 2-metre-long python wrapped around her neck.
- The house where her body was found contained 140 snakes, 20 of them hers, and was owned by the local county sheriff, according to the Lafayette Journal and Courier.
- An Indiana State Police spokesman, Kim Riley, told the Journal and Courier the woman "appears to have been strangled by the snake" but was unable to confirm the cause of death until after an autopsy could be completed.
- The reticulated python, the breed found wrapped around the woman's neck, is the longest snake in the world and native to South Asia and Southeast Asia.
- For more visit Business Insider.
A woman in Indiana was found dead on Wednesday with a 2-metre-long reticulated python wrapped around her neck, the local police said.
Laura Hurst, 36, was found dead in a house in Oxford, Indiana, owned by Benton County Sheriff Don Munson, an avid snake collector. Munson does not live in the house, which was found to contain 140 snakes.
About 20 of those snakes were owned by Hurst, local media reported, and she visited the house regularly to see the snakes, the Lafayette Journal and Courier reported.
Munson found Hurst's body on the floor of the house at 20:51 local time Wednesday, with the python wrapped loosely around her neck, an Indiana State Police spokesman, Kim Riley, told the Journal and Courier.
"She appears to have been strangled by the snake," he said, noting that an autopsy was still in progress.
Riley told the Associated Press that Munson had renovated the building to house a collection of snakes but that they were caged and secure within the building.
Marcel Katz, an attorney for Hurst, told the Journal and Courier that the snakes were important to her and were listed as possessions in her divorce negotiations.
The reticulated python, the breed found wrapped around Hurst's neck, is the longest snake in the world and native to South Asia and Southeast Asia.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- ‘Cheaper’ homes in South Africa are hot right now – in some cases even selling for above the asking price
- Boris Johnson is taking a huge election gamble which could trigger the end for Brexit
- Boris Johnson is close to agreeing a December general election with opposition parties
- A heartbreaking photo of a dog riding a bus alone went viral, and now people want to adopt her
- Pick n Pay is starting ‘Black Friday’ deals on Monday already – and is increasing staff to keep up with expected demand
- 8 ‘haunted’ South African buildings even paranormal investigators find eerie, including an abandoned hospital where children haunt the neighbours