- "The best place to get that Wakanda feeling" is the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) in Johannesburg, the Associate Press said this week.
- It beats out Lesotho, the Victoria Falls – and the rest of the African continent – as a smart, cool, tech-savvy vision of Africa.
- The opinion has been spread across a good chunk of the English-speaking world.
There is probably no better place in the real world to "get that Wakanda feeling" than the campus of the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) in Johannesburg, the Associated Press said this week.
"To be surrounded by smart, opinionated, articulate students, fashionably dressed in colorful, sharp clothes, full of hope and plans for themselves, their country and their continent is to feel the heart of the Afro-optimism of 'Black Panther'," wrote the American news agency's Andrew Meldrum.
Wits beat out Lesotho (which inspired some of the fashion in "Black Panther"), the proudly independent Ethiopia, and the naturally beautiful Victoria Falls, Nairboi, and the Serengeti.
Johannesburg as a whole also got an honourable mention as a Wakanda proxy; "a dynamic, cosmopolitan African city, full of commerce, high-rise architecture and nightlife that is redolent of Wakanda," wrote Meldrum.
See also: Turns out, Wakanda is a place near Bloemfontein. Black Panther’s South African footage was shot in the Free State
If you want to go Wakanda, and end up in Joburg, remember that security is a concern, he said, "but if you are alert and careful, don’t flash your cell phone or cash, it can be a manageable city."
The "real Wakanda" was also the subject of a 15-minute episode of AP Travel’s "Get Outta Here!" podcast.
The AP article has since been republished by the New York Times, Washington Post, and the Los Angeles Times. It has also appeared in Canada, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, India, Kuwait – and about 400 other outlets.
- This is the ideal shape for South African clothes – but it isn’t the body most women have
- Naspers is cashing in R125 billion of its Tencent shares – to spend on food delivery, fintech, and 'other exciting growth opportunities'
- Cyril Ramaphosa is backing the Afro – but a single African currency may only work if it is pegged to the rand, says an economist
- South Africa will be one of the biggest beneficiaries from the new African free trade area, says Moody’s
- The world's most expensive superyachts come with helipads, movie theaters, and swimming pools — take a look
- A medium at Woolworths? You’re actually a XXL at Mr Price. Why SA’s clothing sizes are crazy
- We compared the price of contracts that come with an iPhone X – and the winner is R1,200 a year cheaper than the rest
- The 8 most luxurious private jets in the world
- VBS says it was 'targeted' because it was a fast-growing threat – and shouldn't have been because it was advancing radical economic transformatio
- AI can tell jokes and will soon write better novels than humans, according to a computer scientist
- These are the 5 most expensive South African wines you can buy right now – if you are willing to spend up to R5,000 per bottle
- 'World's most comfortable shoe' now made from South African invasive trees
- South Africa’s top barista showed us how to brew the perfect cup of coffee
- Finding fake grass is becoming tricky in Cape Town
- Use this secret weapon to improve your meetings, suggest SA academics
- An exec who invests Mark Shuttleworth’s money keeps every rejection letter he has ever received – here’s why
- Video games, chewing gum and driving lessons are some of the products Stats SA uses to calculate South Africa's cost of life