White House doctor says Trump feeling 'well' after Covid-19 diagnosis, but won't say if he has symptoms
- White House Physician Sean Conley released a memo early Friday morning confirming President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for Covid-19, but he did not specify whether the president is symptomatic.
- "Rest assured I expect the President to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any further developments," Conley wrote.
- Under the 25th amendment, the president has to submit a "written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office" to transfer power to the vice president.
- Hope Hicks, the senior White House aide who tested positive for the virus yesterday, is symptomatic, according to CNN and multiple news outlets.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
A memorandum from White House Physician Sean Conley released early Friday morning described President Donald Trump as feeling "well" following his positive test result for Covid-19, but it did not specify whether the president is symptomatic.
"Rest assured I expect the President to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering, and I will keep you updated on any further developments," Conley wrote.
Conley also confirmed that the president and First Lady Melania Trump are quarantining.
"The President and First Lady are both well at this time, and they plan to remain at home within the White House during their convalescence," Conley wrote.
Under the 25th Amendment, Trump would transfer power over to Vice President Mike Pence if he were incapacitated or unable to perform his duties as president.
"Whenever the President transmits to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives his written declaration that he is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, and until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary, such powers and duties shall be discharged by the Vice President as Acting President," Section III of the amendment reads.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA’s ‘clearly crazy’ official new unemployment number – what you need to know
- Here are the biggest moments from the chaotic first Trump-Biden debate
- Bank Zero is already up and running for some clients, who are using its new patented cards
- WhatsApp photos, videos could self-destruct soon
- These SA wine labels have just been named among the best in the world