Donald Trump says he’ll be leaving hospital around 4AM SA time
- Donald Trump says he'll be leaving hospital at around 4AM SA time.
- "We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!" the US President tweeted.
- He also said the media would have labelled him rude had he not – controversially – left hospital to wave at supporters outside from a car.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
* This article has been updated throughout.
US President Donald Trump says he'll be leaving hospital this evening, at the equivalent of 3:30AM SA time.
I will be leaving the great Walter Reed Medical Center today at 6:30 P.M. Feeling really good! Don’t be afraid of Covid. Don’t let it dominate your life. We have developed, under the Trump Administration, some really great drugs & knowledge. I feel better than I did 20 years ago!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2020
In a press briefing, Trump's doctors said his condition has rapidly improved during his stay at Walter Reed Army Medical Center following several therapeutic treatments for Covid-19.
Dr. Sean Conley said the president "may not be out of the woods yet," but he is healthy enough to leave the facility by the end of the day.
White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows earlier doubled down on a notion floated by Trump's doctors yesterday that the president could be discharged from the hospital as early as today.
"We are still optimistic that he will be able to return to the White House later today, with his medical professionals making that determination later today," Meadows said in an interview on "Fox & Friends."
As for the risks to the Secret Service agents who drove Pres Trump to see supporters yesterday, Meadows says some folks â€œare trying to make a big deal of that.â€ He says the agents took additional precautions including protective medical gear in the vehicle with the President. pic.twitter.com/5QIvCRrzsQ— TV News HQ (@TVNewsHQ) October 5, 2020
Trump is still relatively early in his treatment for the coronavirus, with the worst symptoms often hitting patients around 10 to 12 days in.
The American president is on heavy doses of various medications that are able to reduce his fever and improve oxygen levels in his blood, but Meadows insisted Trump "continued to improve overnight and is ready to get back to a normal working schedule."
Meadows also commented on whether Trump put Secret Service agents at risk during his drive-by greeting to supporters outside of Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
"They're criticising, 'Well, he put his Secret Service agent at risk,'" Meadows said. "Well, the Secret Service agent, how do we think that he got here? We came here in Marine One. The Secret Service agent that is with him, has been with him."
Despite reports that the president's car — known as "The Beast" — had a seal designed to prevent against chemical weapons exposure that would have made coronavirus transmission much more likely, Meadows repeated the White House line that "proper PPE" was enough to protect the agents.
Before announcing his departure from hospital, Trump also tweeted about criticism of his drive-by.
It is reported that the Media is upset because I got into a secure vehicle to say thank you to the many fans and supporters who were standing outside of the hospital for many hours, and even days, to pay their respect to their President. If I didn’t do it, Media would say RUDE!!!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 5, 2020
(Originally reported by Jake Lahut)
* This article was updated after Trump announced his intended departure from hospital.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- These large new wind and solar projects will deliver electricity from this month
- 11 countries just got visa-free access to SA again – but tourists from 5 still banned
- We watched more than 400 repossessed cars being auctioned, and they’re already going cheap
- Germany formally cleared for travel to SA – and Emirates is still flying in too
- Trump, who is highly contagious, left hospital to pay a 'surprise visit' to cheering 'fans'