- Eskom's Stage 6 load shedding saw a rush for alternative energy and lighting products.
- The demand for candles, paraffin, gas bottles, emergency lights, Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) products, and electric generators has surged.
- A particularly popular brand of rechargeable LED lanterns, Magneto, supplied by the Durban-based wholesaler, Tevo, has become especially scarce.
- Tevo's website noted that it had no available stock of the Magneto LED Lantern 2.0.
- The supplier's Facebook page confirmed these stock shortages but added that the lanterns were "expected to be on shelves by this weekend as new stock was received this week."
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Sales of rechargeable LED lanterns have spiked since South Africa encountered Stage 6 load shedding a week ago, with wholesale suppliers and retailers running out of stock.
South Africans rushed to grab alternative energy and lighting products when Eskom announced Stage 6 load shedding – for the first time since 2019 – on 28 June. The move to this extreme stage of load shedding came amid power plant breakdowns and an unprotected strike by Eskom staff.
South Africans have been subjected to load shedding, at varying levels, every day since, with power cuts set to continue until at least Sunday.
Retailers have reported a significant surge in demand for candles, paraffin, gas bottles, and emergency lights. Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) products have also sold out fast, and finding electric generators has also become hard.
A particularly popular brand of rechargeable LED lanterns, Magneto, supplied by the Durban-based wholesaler, Tevo, has become especially scarce over the past week.
The Magneto 1,000 lumen LED lantern, which promises up to 60 hours of light on one single charge, is one of the company's most popular products. In addition to supplying light, with two different power modes, it also contains a USB port that can be used to recharge mobile phones during bouts of load shedding.
Online retailer Takealot indicates that it has no immediately available stock of the Magneto lantern, with shipping only available in five to seven days. Stock levels vary across the Builders group, with some stores reporting to be completely out of stock and others indicating that available products are selling fast.
Tevo's website indicates that the wholesaler, itself, is out of stock of the Magneto LED Lantern 2.0.
Tevo, on Friday, promoted "South Africa's best-selling LED lantern, while stocks last" through its social media channels. The supplier's Facebook page noted that "current demand is significant", and although some stock had already been delivered to some retailers, "it is selling out fast".
"This product was out of stock but is expected to be on shelves by this weekend as new stock was received this week," said Tevo in response to complaints on social media about the LED lanterns being hard to find.
Business Insider SA reached out to Tevo regarding the supply and demand for the Magneto LED Lantern 2.0. The supplier hadn't responded by the time of publication.