Hand sanitiser is now available from SA online stores again – here’s how much you’ll pay
- Hand sanitiser, for a while impossible to find in South Africa, is back on shelves again.
- Many physical stores are still struggling to keep up with demand, but online retailers look like a good bet.
- Here's how prices compare on a per-millilitre basis at Makro, Neat Freak, Netflorist, TakeALot, Loot, and Clicks.
- For more stories go to the Business Insider South Africa homepage.
* This article has been updated below.
After panic buying cleared shelves for weeks, hand sanitiser is available South Africa again, with several physical and online stores stocking it in reasonable quantities.
Although hand sanitiser is not as effective at killing the likes of SARS-CoV-2 as a thorough hand wash with soap and running water, it is still useful to have when these aren’t available – provided the sanitiser has an alcohol quantity of at least 60%.
Hand sanitiser with such a suitable alcohol content has been a hot commodity in the build-up to, and during, South Africa’s lockdown period.
Most physical stores seem to still be selling out as soon as they replenish stock, but online stores now appear to be a more reliable way to stock up.
These online stores are selling various brands in different quantities – and at markedly different costs. Prices understandably also vary according to the size of the bottle you’re willing to buy, with some stores selling up to a litre of sanitiser at a time.
The cheapest sanitiser with a suitable alcohol content we could find goes for as low as 7 cents per millilitre, but some online stores are selling similar products for as much as 69 cents per millilitre.
Delivery times and fees also vary. Some stores offer free in-store pickups within a few days; most offer delivery to your door for a fee, usually within two to five working days.
Here's where you can buy hand sanitiser online in South Africa now, and how the prices compare.
Puridene 100ml: R15.95 (0.16 per ml)
Puridene 300ml: R32.95 (0.11 per ml)
Puridene 500 ml: R46.95 (0.09 per ml)
Puridene 1 Litre: R72.95 (0.07 per ml)
Delivery fee (2-5 days): R50; free pickup at select stores.
Nu Eco / Hand Cleanser 100ml: R55 (0.55 per ml)
Delivery fee (2-14 working days): R69 main centres; R159 regional.
Netflorist (JHB and PTA only)
Puridene 500 ml: R57.95 (0.12 per ml)
Handex Hand Sanitizer Pump 1L: R83.95 (0.08 per ml)
Delivery fee (3-5 days): R89.95.
Aquashield Hand Sanitiser 500ml: R105 (0.21 per ml)
Hand Sanitizer 60% Alcohol Sanitiser - Gel - 180ml: R62 (0.34 per ml)
Aquashield Hand Sanitiser 50ml (6’s) - R115 (0.38 per ml)
Delivery fee (4 working days): R60.
K Manufacturing Waterless Hand Sanitiser - 70% Alcohol (100ml): R69 (0.69 per ml)
K Manufacturing Waterless Hand Sanitiser - 70% Alcohol (250ml): R139 (0.56 per ml)
Tentco Gel Hand Sanitiser (330ml): R99 (0.3 per ml)
Delivery: R100 (next working day); R 78.00 (1 - 2 working days); R 40.00 (1 - 3 working days).
Biosol (300ml): R49.99 (0.17 per ml)
Delivery: R60 (1-3 working days).
* This article has been updated to correct the listing for Neat Freak.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- ‘This is wartime’: The Reserve Bank just freed up half a trillion rand as Covid-19 relief loans
- South Africa hopes to build 10 000 ventilators by end June – and up to 50 000 more if needed
- WhatsApp group admins may be criminally liable for fake news in SA – under these conditions
- Dis-Chem now offers drive-through Covid-19 tests - at R850 each
- Checkers and Mr D Food will now deliver medicine to your home