How to tell exactly which iPad model you have
- Knowing exactly which iPad model you have makes it easier to buy the right accessories and to get proper tech support with the hardware when needed.
- Since the first iPads were sold in 2010, there have been well over a dozen different variations released.
- Here's how to tell which iPad you have, guesswork (and hard work) not included.
As strange as it is to think, given the cost of an iPad and the care with which you likely chose one, with time it becomes hard to remember just which iPad you own. Was it the second generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro, or the 2015 iPad Pro? Did you get an iPad Air as a gift, or an iPad Air 2? And what exactly is this venerable 2011 model you're still tapping away at - an iPad 2, right? Was that it?
Knowing exactly which iPad you have is important for a number of reasons. First, it will let you know the memory capacity of the device so you can avoid running out of space. Next, it ensures you buy the right accessory for the iPad, from screen protectors to cases. Finally, knowing the specific model of your iPad is critical for getting technical support with the hardware.
How to figure out which iPad you have (the low-tech approach)
You can figure out exactly what iPad you have even if your iPad's battery is drained or the thing is damaged and won't even turn on.
Just turn the thing over and look at the back. Underneath the word "iPad" you will see a capital letter (an A) followed by a few numbers. That is the model number, and with it you can search for your specific iPad online, or you can just reference our list below.
If your iPad is in a case and you don't want to remove it, or if for some other reason you can't readily access and read that imprinted model number, no problem. (As long as the iPad can turn on, anyway.)
How to figure out which iPad you have (using your settings)
This method takes a few steps, but it will give you your answer without you needing to remove the iPad from its case.
- Open the "Settings" app.
- Tap "General."
- On the next menu, tap "About" at the top of the list.
- Look a bit below the halfway mark on the next menu for the line labeled "Model."
- Tap the "Model" line for a different version of the long model number displayed there.
- A shorter model starting with an "A" will appear - that's your iPad's model number.
If you want to go the extra mile, figure out your iPad model before you even have an issue with the hardware and then spend four seconds jotting it down somewhere safe.
Here's a list of all iPads released to date, via Apple:
iPad - 2010
A1219 on the iPad (Wi-Fi)A1337 on the iPad (Wi-Fi + 3G)
iPad 2 - 2011
A1395 on the iPad 2 (Wi-Fi)A1396 on the iPad 2 (GSM model)A1397 on the iPad 2 (CDMA model)
iPad (3rd generation) - 2012
A1416 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-FiA1430 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + CellularA1403 on the iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ)
iPad (4th generation) - 2012
A1458 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-FiA1459 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + CellularA1460 on the iPad (4th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)
iPad mini - 2012
A1432 on the iPad mini Wi-FiA1454 on the iPad mini Wi-Fi + CellularA1455 on the iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM)
iPad mini 2 - 2013
A1489 on the iPad mini 2 Wi-FiA1490 on the iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + CellularA1491 on the iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular (TD-LTE)-released early 2014
iPad Air - 2013
A1474 on the iPad Air Wi-FiA1475 on the iPad Air Wi-Fi + CellularA1476 on the iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular (TD-LTE)-released early 2014
iPad Air 2 - 2014
A1566 on the iPad Air 2A1567 on the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad mini 3 - 2014
A1599 on the iPad mini 3A1600 on the iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad Pro (12.9-inch) - 2015
A1584 on the iPad ProA1652 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad mini 4 - 2015
A1538 on the iPad mini 4A1550 on the iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad Pro (9.7-inch) - 2016
A1673 on the iPad ProA1674 or A1675 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad Pro (10.5-inch) - 2017
A1701 on the iPad ProA1709 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + CellularA1852 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular (China only)
A1670 on the iPad ProA1671 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + CellularA1821 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular (China only)
iPad (5th generation) - 2017
A1822 on the iPad (5th generation) Wi-FiA1823 on the iPad (5th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad (6th generation) - 2018A1893 on the iPad (6th generation) Wi-FiA1954 on the iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
iPad Pro 11-inch - 2018
A1980 on the iPad ProA2013, A1934 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + CellularA1979 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular (China only)
A1876 on the iPad ProA2014, A1895 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + CellularA1983 on the iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular (China only)
For more, go to Business Insider South Africa
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- South Africa's 'number one' chips: McCain forced to withdraw claim after Steers fights back
- You may soon get credit from TymeBank - and 5 other things to know about Patrice Motsepe's bank
- Oprah Winfrey avoided at least a R550 million loss after unloading bunch of her Weight Watchers shares at a perfect time
- This phone's battery is so big, you can talk on the phone for 3 days straight on a single charge
- You can now get tekkies that look like avocado toast
- Rain could beat cellphone network giants Vodacom, MTN, Cell C and Telkom to 5G