We tried the Cape Town ice cream parlour just named the best in the world – and its experiments with beetroot and turmeric are mind-blowing
- South African ice cream parlour Unframed has just been rated as the best in the world.
- In its tubs are funky experimental flavours including some interesting vegan-friendly varieties.
- Some of the flavours on offer had me sceptical – like the vegan-friendly turmeric and beetroot chocolate flavours.
- Unframed beat ice parlours that make watermelon ice cream sandwiches and giant chocolate squid ice cream art.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider SA.
A South African ice cream parlour franchise called Unframed has just been voted as the best ice cream in the world – and its artisan ice cream, which includes funky experimental flavours and vegan-friendly varietals, is certainly something.
The Cape Town-based ice cream maker topped a list of 50 other ice cream sellers from around the world, according to international travel company Big 7 Travel, which sent tasters around the world and looked at reader votes.
Unframed opened its first store in 2016 when French-born founder Yann Rey gave up a job in banking and joined up with Stephane Auge.
We decided to see what the fuss is about, and we were not disappointed.
Unframed stores can be found in the V&A Food Market, Gardens, and in Woodstock in Cape Town.
The ice creams are beautifully lit in these fridges.
I was sceptical about the vegan-friendly ice creams: beetroot chocolate and ginger; matcha latte, and turmeric.
I’ve had vegan friendly ice cream before and it has been a hard miss for me.
But I found Unframed's vegan flavours were some of the smoothest and tastiest I’ve ever had. They tasted just like dairy-based ice cream - it was like fairies were dancing on my taste buds.
They allowed me to try a healthy sample of each flavour, which not all ice cream parlours do.
In the end I opted for a scoop of turmeric.
This is a genuine face of contentment.
The ice creams start at R39 for 1 scoop.
Unframed beat some truly outrageous ice cream makers...
Like the Milkcow Cafe in Vancouver, Canada which makes a watermelon ice cream sandwich.
...and Giapo, which makes this colossal chocolate squid ice cream, based in Auckland, New Zealand.
For the full list you can go to the Big 7 website here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Prasa says SA’s passenger trains are 15% more reliable than they were just 8 weeks ago – and promises things will only get better
- E-tolls was supposed to be solved a month ago – but ‘Mr Fix” has just moved the deadline again
- “Your salary can’t afford that”: SA tweets on #SalaryDepression
- A new iPhone feature lets you make emojis of yourself for WhatsApp– so we made Cyril Ramaphosa, Tito Mboweni, Patricia de Lille, and Julius Malema
- MTN says ‘several thousand’ users at a time were affected by data and voice problems this week
- SA’s global brand value jumped by 5% the past year