We tried burgers from Steers, Burger King, Wimpy, and McDonald's. The winner was clear.
- We rigorously tested burgers from four leading fast-food outlets.
- One particular burger was so bad, testers refused to finish it.
- The winner was Burger King, with Steers a close second.
Amid fierce competition in the fast food market, we set out to find the best beef burger for your buck. All the burgers we tested cost below R50.
Our tasting team pitted Steers, Burger King, Wimpy, and McDonald's burgers against each other. We each tasted all four burgers and scored each on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best).
The patties were also weighed and the presentation of the burgers compared.
See also: We compared SA's dinner-kit services UCook and Daily Dish – and the winner was clear for one key and one minor reason
Classic Beef Burger will cost you: R47,90.
Patty weight: 77g.
Average score: 7.8 out of 10
This burger was certainly the sauciest. There was a lot going on: pickles, barbecue sauce, diced onions, and mustard. But this burger didn’t manage to pull it all together.
Our tasters loved the patty, which actually tasted like real meat, but were not fans of the bun, which tasted stale.
The burger was also expensive, and we didn't get any sides for the price.
Big King Burger will cost you R44,50. (It also comes with medium chips and unlimited soda).
Patty weight: 70g.
Average score: 8 out of 10
It was nicely presented and had three slices of bread and two patties.
The meat was beefy and tasted flame-grilled. The tangy mayonnaise sauce was definitely a favourite.
The chips were tasty, and with unlimited cool drink, this also offered the best value.
Wimpy Burger will cost you R49,90. (It also comes with regular chips).
Patty weight: 70g.
Average score: 3.7 out of 10
Most of the tasters refused to finish this burger. It lacked any flavour and all that came out was the pungent taste of pickles. What relish there was appeared slimy.
The burger was also dry and the amount of cheap tomato sauce was found wanting. There was too much bread for the small amount of fillings and the bun was dry and stale.
The chips that came with the burger were translucent in colour, soggy and bland.
Beef Quarter Pounder will cost you R48,50. (It also comes with chips and a drink).
Patty weight: 84g.
Average score: 6.3 out of 10
Despite boasting the biggest patty, it was dry and tasteless. The burger as a whole, however, was not a disappointment. It was appetising and flavourful despite minimum relish.
The tasters loved the chips, which quickly disappeared, as well as the drink that came with.
The result: Burger King, with Steers a close (but expensive) second.
Burger King makes the best fast-food hamburger according to our testers, with Steers coming close in average scoring. But once you factor in that the Steers burger is more expensive – without the chips and drink Burger King throws into the deal, there is no contest when it comes to value.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We compared SA's dinner-kit services UCook and Daily Dish – and the winner was clear for one key and one minor reason
- This is how Falke's SA factories survived the invasion of cheap Chinese imports, hired 100s of workers and made 24 million socks a year
- Bose's new R3,300 Sleepbuds are designed to help you sleep — here's how they work
- Chinese smartphone giant Xiaomi reportedly gave its CEO a R20 billion bonus — one of the largest CEO bonuses in history
- More than a million space rocks could strike Earth with more energy than a nuclear bomb, and we don't know where most of them are
- Bruce Whitfield: An open letter to Malusi Gigaba