We tested Burger King's limited edition milk tart milkshake - and it's so good we don't want to see it go
- Burger King launched a limited edition milk tart milkshake in the run-up to Heritage Day.
- Our office blind-tested it, and while only two people immediately recognised the flavour, all loved it.
- The sentiment is apparently shared among social media users.
In the run-up to Heritage Day on September 24, Burger King launched a limited edition milk tart milkshake.
We tested it in our office without telling participants what flavour it was. Only two of our testers guessed right straightaway it was supposed to be milk tart – but all agreed: this is one delicious milkshake.
The tasters immediately picked up the cinnamon, along with the vanilla. But they don't think the cinnamon is overpowering at all, and it seems as if Burger King got the combination just right.
The milkshake also had the “normal” aftertaste you would associate with milk tart, one of our taste testers said – it went down really well. “There was no chemical aftertaste,” he said.
The texture of the milkshake was “very, very smooth”, according to another taster.
It was creamy, but refreshing at the same time.
While one lone dissenter thought it was too sweet, the rest of our group thought it had exactly the right sugar kick.
In fact, there was a little scuffle about who would get to finish the milkshake.
The milkshake scored an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 – and we think Burger King should consider adding it as a permanent fixture.
This sentiment is shared on the Burger King Facebook page, where the response towards the new limited edition milk tart milkshake was overwhelmingly positive.
"What do you mean 'limited time'? Finally a lekker flavour, and now it's limited," one follower lamented.
I think Burger King is actually onto something with their new milk tart milkshake— Golden Boy (@AmeerWatson) September 19, 2018
"Wow, wow, it's the best I have ever tasted," another fan wrote on Burger King's Facebook page. "Definitely tastes like milk tart, had to try it out yesterday," said a fan.
The milk tart milkshake, launched on September 17th, is available as a Heritage Day special along with Burger King's boerewors sandwich. Burger King also has a peppermint crisp ice cream desert.
The fast food chain is now planning more uniquely South African milkshakes and asked its customers for flavour suggestion.
On its Facebook page, fans have proposed flavours like malva pudding and custard and blueberry cheesecake. There was one suggestion for a mageu (fermented maize pap) milkshake.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Watch: a satellite has successfully shown it can snare space junk in orbit with this net
- Cathay Pacific misspelled its own name on the side of a plane
- A South African food logistics company is trying to get a licence to grow dagga in the UK
- Rich, older South African men are buying Plan B passports in Europe in record numbers
- Africa’s second longest main span bridge is to be built in the Eastern Cape – this is what it will look like
- This is officially what the new iPhone Xs will cost in South Africa - R5,000 more than the Samsung Note