We tried chips from McDonald's, Steers and other takeaway joints - and the winner was clear
- Chips complete a take-away meal - but sometimes they are just amazing on their own.
- Business Insider tested chips from five popular chains.
- The best chips "tasted like potatoes".
No take-away meal is ever complete without a hearty portion of chips. Or you can just skip the formalities and have them by themselves.
Business Insider SA assembled a tasting team of eight people (all chips lovers) to help us determine who has the best chips out of five major chains: Mochachos, McDonalds, Steers, Burger King, and RocoMamas.
All our tasters had to rate the chips out of 10 with the criteria including taste and presentation.
Burger King Large chips - R21.00
These chips didn't go down that well. One of our tasters believed the chips tasted powdery, while another said they tasted like "frozen chips that were later reheated". Nice enough, but tasteless without sauces.
Overall rating: 46%
McDonald's Large Chips - R20.50
"McDonald's chips are only good when they are hot," says one taster. (All of the chips cooled down slow slightly as we had to take pictures first.)
Also, McDonald's chips normally come salted, but for some reason ours were not.
According to the McDonald's loyalists among our tasters, the chips taste amazing with the chain's spicy sauce. But with the normal tomato sauce thrown into the bag, even she had to admit that there were better options out there.
Overall rating: 58%.
Mochachos Beeg Chips - R39.90
These chips smelled wonderful, and while they didn't look that wonderful, they were surprisingly delicious.
Still, our tasters believed the fact that you have to buy the sauce separately (no sachets are included) is a major drawback.
Overal rating: 64%.
RocoMamas Large Chips - R40.00
The RocoMamas chips were spicy, but had a dry aftertaste.
The panel thought that a sauce would improve the taste - it's good enough, but not on its own.
Overall rating: 66%
Steers Classic Large Chips - R27.90
"They taste like slap-chips and (are nice and) oily," according to one taster.
According to our panel of tasters, the thing that made them stand out above the rest was that they tasted like potatoes. Steers was also praised for the spice on its chips.
The Steers chips were the best according to our panel, with 79% of the vote.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- We compared South Africa’s most popular takeout coffees — and the winner is clear
- We checked the shelves to see if ‘pink tax’ exists, and found women pay much more than men for the same thing
- We compared SA's most popular hot chicken wings - and the winner surprised us
- Fricking isn't the same as effing and so okay for kids to say, the ads authority just ruled
- Ties are 'socially desirable strangulation', scientists say – and you probably shouldn't wear one
- This bank will give you a R1 million salary to work on your side-hustle full time for a year
- We tried burgers from Steers, Burger King, Wimpy, and McDonald's. The winner was clear.