KFC now sells nuggets – here’s how they compare to McDonald’s and Burger King’s versions
- KFC has introduced chicken nuggets to its South African menu.
- The fast-food chain has pops and sprinkle pops as one of its sides, but the new nuggets are a meatier addition.
- Business Insider South Africa compared KFC's offering to McDonald's and Burger King's nuggets, and we were pleasantly surprised.
- For more stories, go to Business Insider SA's home page.
KFC has added chicken nuggets to its menu in South Africa.
The fast-food chain joins the likes of McDonald's and Burger King, where nuggets have long been firm favourite. McDonald's McNuggets were introduced to the brand in the 1970s, though they were only available in selected stores in the US initially.
Burger King introduced chicken fingers in the mid-80s which were later replaced by nuggets in 2013.
KFC also introduced their nuggets in the mid-80s – but not in South Africa, until now.
With the help of a small tasting panel, Business Insider South Africa compared the local newcomer to the established nuggets from McDonald's and Burger King, looking at presentation, taste, texture, and price.
Here's how KFC's new-to-SA chicken nuggets compare to the competition.
KFC - R29.90 for 9 pieces.
KFC's chicken nuggets actually tasted like chicken, if just a tad on the salty side.
As is standard elsewhere, KFC nuggets come with dipping sauces, as opposed to the powdered flavouring it uses for its pops. (Our delivery came with just one dipping sauce instead of the two we were supposed to receive.)
Burger King - R33 for 6 pieces
Burger King's nuggets were dry, even though they looked tender. The dip helped a little with that.
It also tasted like chicken – but some of our tasters said they seemed to have been fried in rancid oil, making it far less palatable than the KFC newcomer.
McDonalds - R30.50 for 6 pieces
Unlike the competition, the nuggets from McDonlad's did not taste like chicken. They were also paler in colour, compared to nuggets from KFC and Burger King, which is somewhat off-putting.
Many of our tasters who are familiar with McDonald's nuggets were surprised at the difference that was obvious when comparing side by side.
The jalapeno dipping sauce helped, though.
The verdict: KFC all the way.
KFC's nuggets are quite good, and the fact that they taste like chicken made them popular in our testing group. The very attractive price also helps put it well ahead of the competition.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Robert F. Smith on becoming the richest black man in America, what companies get wrong about diversity
- Black Monday on South African markets: It’s a bloodbath out there
- Here’s how SA workers deal with ‘managers from hell’, according to a new academic study
- Here’s how food prices changed since 2017: mielie meal is cheaper, but meat is much pricier
- South Africa now has the world's largest electric vehicle, a massive mining truck
- You can score many free Whoppers thanks to Business Insider – if you have the right name