South Africa’s top barista showed us how to brew the perfect cup of coffee
In February, Winston Thomas was crowned SA’s Barista Champion, for the second year in a row. We asked him to make us the perfect cup of coffee.
It turns out that something we haven't even thought about - the water - is key to the taste of the coffee. Also, we learned that careful coffee measurements are important. Thomas also likes to use with slightly colder-than-average milk in his perfect cup. You can view the video of his coffee-making here.
Thomas, a former DJ, first heard that making coffee could be a serious job when, as a student, he read an article about a woman who complained about bad coffee in Somerset West. It sparked his interest, so when he finished university he signed up.
Later this year he will be jetting to Amsterdam to take part in the World Barista Championships. Here he plans to show off his skill brewing a highly sought-after Ethiopian bean that smells of strawberry and roses. The beans come from the Gesha Coffee Farm in Ethiopia, situated near its border with Sudan.
“What is so special about this farm is that when it was started it was made of virgin forest, so it had never been touched. The soil, the entire biodiversity, of the system has been naturally preserved for thousands of years,” says Thomas.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here
- Nescafé, Ricoffy and Frisco are at war – which means cheaper prices for instant coffee drinkers
- Richemont can now take control of an online retailer that sells tekkies for R23,000 a pair. Amazon should be worried.
- Video games, chewing gum and driving lessons are some of the products Stats SA uses to calculate South Africa's cost of living
- The Free State could be producing 5% of the world’s helium soon – and that could change much more than just the party-balloon market
- What Stephen Hawking thought about boy bands, black holes and aliens
- Spotify is now in South Africa – 3 reasons why Apple Music is still better
- Civil servants' pee will be used to water a new green feature in Cape Town
- With this new dating app, you pick a match by listening to their voice, not viewing their picture — here's how it works
- Most vitamins are useless, but here are the ones you should take
- 15 things you're doing that make people dislike you immediately
- The 7 biggest questions we had after watching 'Black Panther', and hope are answered in the seque
- A mysterious property company just paid R150 million for a very unassuming building in Cape Town
- An OUTsurance founder just landed a R350 million payday – but he's not shopping for private islands just quite yet
- Google cofounder Larry Page has been secretly testing flying taxis in New Zealand
- Opel will build thousands of cars in Namibia – barely a year after leaving South Africa
- South Africa’s top YouTube channels feature musicians, health fanatics, wildlife – and a guy who teaches you how to play MinecraftThese are the 10 suburbs in Johannesburg where property prices have increased by more than 50% in the past five years