You can now watch unlimited movies at Ster-Kinekor for R349 a month - here's how to make it worth your while
- Ster-Kinekor has launched a R349/month unlimited movie payment plan - but you can only buy one ticket per show, and it's only available at three theatres.
- It also has a new option for families: for R249 a month, you can get four tickets you can use at the same time.
- For more, go to Business Insider SA.
In a bid to get bums on seats, cinema chain Ster-Kinekor has launched an unlimited movie subscription club – but for now it’ll only be available at three cinemas: Eastgate Shopping Centre (Gauteng), as well as Somerset Mall and Garden Route Mall in the Western Cape.
For R349 a month you can watch an unlimited number of movies - and enjoy a 20% discount every time you buy a medium popcorn-and-soda combo.
According to the Ts and Cs, the deals are limited to 2D and 3D movies and you'll have to stick with it for at least three months. You only get one ticket per show - so you can't buy tickets for friends or family who want to go to the same show.
If you watch more than four 3D movies a month, it could be worth your money.
Booking a standard 3D ticket to watch Aladdin at the Garden Route Cinema will cost you R93, while a 2D ticket for a nighttime viewing of The Long Shot at East Rand Mall, will set you back R86.
Four 3D tickets come to R374, so you will save R25 (plus the popcorn discount) a month with the new subscription service if you currently go to the movies at least once a week. If you mostly watch 2D movies, it will need to be slightly more than that.
Four 2D night-time tickets (R344) are still cheaper than the membership option.
But it doesn't make sense for Vitality members.
On Vitality, you get a 50% discount on Ster-Kinekor 2D and 3D movie tickets. So you will have to watch eight movies a month to recoup your investment. (But that's before you take into account the monthly Vitality membership fee of R259, for one person.)
Ster Kinekor has also introduced a new family friendly option, for R249 a month.
The cinema chain has also released a family friendly payment plan where you can get up to four movies tickets for R249 a month, equating to R64.25 per ticket.
You can use all four at once and share with your friends, and you also get a 20% discount on four medium popcorn-and-soda combos.
This option is only available at Eastgate Shopping Centre, Watercrest Mall, KwaZulu-Natal, and I'Langa Mall, Mpumalanga.
Comparing ticket prices for Aladdin, this gives you a R30.75 saving on a 3D ticket - still somewhat more than R46.50 a ticket with Vitality.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Huawei developed a 'plan B' operating system for smartphones in case it was banned by the US government from using Google products. Here's what we know about it so far.
- Huawei just caught a break: The US government has temporarily loosened its restrictions
- Fans are seriously confused about Bran Stark's new title on 'Game of Thrones'
- Trump and Iran may be on the brink of a war that would likely be devastating to both sides
- Some South African Huawei owners are hoping to get a refund. Good luck with that.
- In China you get a special warning before you call people who owe money, telling you to get them to pay up