Watch: A secret rehearsal of Africa's first ‘drone fireworks’ for Absa's big reveal today
- We counted over 240 light-carrying drones rising above the Joburg skyline in the first hour of Tuesday morning.
- The light drones proceeded to form Absa's newly-trademarked logo, which it has been so secretive about.
- On Tuesday the bank announced that the drones will form part of Africa's first Intel drone light show.
We counted over 240 mysterious drones rising above the Joburg skyline to form Absa's newly trademarked logo in the first hours of Tuesday morning – as the bank apparently rehearsed a show due Wednesday night.
The clandestine rehearsal took place a few minutes before 1AM, presumably to ensure sleeping residents would be one the wiser.
The bank finally came clean about the mini-drones, announcing that they will form part of Africa's first ever Intel light drone show in the Joburg CBD at 19h30 on Wednesday.
Make sure you don't miss the first ever Intel® Drone Light Show on our continent. You can watch the show on 11/7 @ 19:30 on DStv channel 981, or via live stream on Absa's Facebook and YouTube channels. You're likely never to see something quite like it ever again. #AbsaDroneShow pic.twitter.com/KfZELxfXjj— Absa (@Absa) July 10, 2018
Intel's drones have been used to light up the sky for major events like Lady Gaga's Super Bowl halftime show, which used Intel drones coordinated by computer programmes and earlier this year at the Winter Olympics.
Light drone shows are becoming popular, quieter and environmentally-friendly replacements of fireworks.
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This bank will give you a R1 million salary to work on your side-hustle full time for a year
- Here's how you can earn your free ticket to see Beyoncé, Jay-Z, and Ed Sheeran live in South Africa
- Two SA neighbourhoods have just been named among the coolest in the world – beating New York and London
- This SA farm made a name in organic wines – now it is going vegan