- Discovery says it will make "pay to gym" easy for customers of its broader group, via a linked Discovery Bank account.
- You'll pay between R75 and R100 per session at Virgin Active or Planet Fitness, by just scanning a QR code, no contract required.
- The group is offering a new zero-fee Discovery Account, from where that payment will have to be made.
- All gym visits are free until the end of July.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
The Discovery group on Monday announced its customers can go to the gym for free until the end of July, as an introductory offer to its new Vitality Pay as you Gym service.
It is also throwing in one free smoothie.
The pay-as-you-go gym concept provides access to more than 170 gyms in the Virgin Active and Planet Fitness stables, Discovery said. Each visit will cost between R75 and R100, depending on the facilities at the specific gym.
There are no monthly or annual contracts involved, and no need to use the same gym, or even gyms in the same chain.
To access the gym, customers scan a QR code at the entrance. That triggers the payment of the fee, which can be paid using Discovery Miles, or with cash from a Discovery Bank credit card or a transactional account.
Discovery simultaneously announced it is now offering customers an account with no monthly fees, named the Discovery Account, which is eligible for the Vitality Pay as You Gym service.
That makes pay-as-you-go gym sessions available for only the cost of keeping enough cash in a Discovery Account to cover the access charge.
Discovery said that as an introductory offer, the pay-as-you-gym service will be free until the end of July – and users get a free smoothie after their first visit.
Gyms were hard hit by the pandemic and lockdowns, and last year started offering some pretty deep discounts on their standard annual memberships to lure back lapsed members.
At the same time, fitness professionals who offered at-home workout alternatives via either video or live virtual training sessions said they had retained many of the clients that flocked to their services as an alternative.