Compare your income to the rest of South Africa with this calculator
South Africa is one of the most unequal countries in the world, with over 50% of the country estimated to be chronically poor.
Many South Africans find it surprising to find out where they lie on the country’s income distribution curve, says the Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit (SALDRU) at the University of Cape Town. The unit created an online tool to help South Africans determine their own position.
“The tool was designed to help people understand the nature and extent of South Africa’s inequality.”
The unit estimates that only 20% of the country belong to the stable middle class, while 4% belong to the elite.
Here’s how to find out where you are on the country’s income distribution curve:
1) Go to SALDRU’s comparison tool
2) Adjust the slider to your monthly income after tax
3) Adjust the slider to the number of people dependent on your income
4) Place yourself in your estimated income group
5) The website will place you in an income bracket
Receive a single email every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Meet the 24-year-old American prodigy set to disrupt SA’s used car industry - within the next two years
- This SA-created irrigation system cuts water usage by up to 70% - and is revolutionising orchard
- People are discovering that scammers are controlling their Apple accounts using a feature for families to share apps
- These tech skills will land you a R500,000 job – while accountants, nurses and drivers are also in hot demand
- The new Pick n Pay 'plastic' bag can be used as compost in your garden - this is what it looks like