President Donald Trump made a lengthy call-in interview to the Fox Business Network on Thursday.
  • In another chaotic day in the US presidential election race, the Trump campaign has requested that the two remaining debates be delayed by a week.
  • Earlier on Thursday, it was announced that the next debate would be virtual, with the candidates in different locations.
  • In reaction, Trump said he won’t take part in a debate that's not in person.
  • For more stories, go to www.businessinsider.co.za.

Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has proposed that the remaining two presidential debates be delayed by a week, to allow them to be in person.

Earlier on Thursday, the US Commission on Presidential Debates announced that to “protect the health and safety of all involved” the next presidential debate would be virtual, with Trump and the Democratic nominee Joe Biden in different locations.

The debate was scheduled for next week Thursday, and Trump, who announced that he tested positive for Covid-19 on 2 October, could still be contagious by that time.

But in reaction to the announcement, Trump said that he would not be taking part in a virtual presidential debate.

"I am not going to do a virtual debate," Trump said in an interview with Fox Business. "I am not going to waste my time on a virtual debate."

But by late Thursday, his campaign proposed that the two remaining debates are delayed by a week. 

The first debate between Trump and  Biden was widely seen as a disaster, particularly for the US president.

Trump spent the vast majority of the night lobbing personal attacks at Biden, while the moderator Chris Wallace begged Trump to stop interrupting Biden, without much success.

Trump made false claims on his Covid-19 response and continued to push the erroneous notion Biden is a socialist, while Biden called the sitting president a racist to his face. Trump also hesitated to explicitly condemn white supremacist groups when given the opportunity. 

France's Le Monde described it as "worrying for American democracy". The Guardian in the UK portrayed the debate as "a national humiliation".

"The US embarrassed itself before the world for 100 minutes," The Times of India wrote.

 

Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.

Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.

Also from Business Insider South Africa:

  • Emirates flights to SA are definitely on again, as air crew get a semi official pass on tests
  • Why Uber is asking some South Africans for a selfie to prove they're wearing a mask
  • Insurer forced to pay for stolen cellphone - after arguing that it was left 'unguarded'
  • Three friends launched a kasi craft beer – just before lockdown made it illegal to sell
  •