These 6 South African universities are offering virtual campus tours
- The country's universities remain closed, as SA's lockdown under Level 4 continues.
- And while uncertainty about the 2020 academic year remains, it is now possible to take a virtual tour of six of the country's universities.
- Take a look at the campuses you can visit from the comfort of your home.
- For more articles, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Six South African universities are offering virtual tours of their campuses to prospective students.
While universities remain closed under Level 4 of the country's national lockdown to fight the Covid-19 pandemic, and the future of the 2020 academic year is not yet certain, you can have a look at what some campuses have on offer.
The Department of Basic Education will on Thursday announce proposed dates for the phased reopening of schools.
Here are the universities you can visit from the comfort of your home:
University of Pretoria (UP)
The University of Pretoria offers visitors a tour of all six of the university's campuses.
You can take a tour of your faculty of choice - or tour the entire campus.
University of Cape Town (UCT)
To access UCT's virtual tour requires patience, and it isn't the easiest to navigate.
You are also able to see various campuses from different angles and at any time of day or night. Just click on the blue dots.
University of the Witwatersrand (Wits)
The tour of Wits starts at its Great Hall, and if you want to move around, click on the white shape at the bottom of the image.
You are able to visit all of its campuses and entrances, residences as well its website from one portal.
Nelson Mandela University (NMU)
NMU offers an interactive virtual tour which gives you an automatic 360 degree tour of each surrounding.
You can enter each of the buildings, as well as manoeuvre around them, by clicking on the moving screen. The screen stops moving when you click on it.
Stellenbosch University (SU)
You have to download Stellenbosch's SU Facilities app, but it's worth it.
The app is easy to navigate and is available to download on Android and iOS.
University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
UKZN's virtual campus tours also include "scenes", which refer to each campuses' various buildings. The tour is made all the more appealing by UKZN's beautiful landscapes and scenery. The aerial views of the campuses are definitely the best parts of the tour.
University of the Western Cape (UWC)
The smallest of all the tours, UWC's, shows only a few of the university's buildings and student life, but it is worth a visit.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Covid-19: All the financial help and information you need
- SA insurers are keen to scrap pandemic coverage, not so keen to pay for Covid-19 interruption
- A single Nguni bull just sold for a world record R310,000 – over WhatsApp
- Workers can now claim Covid-19 cash directly from the UIF - no need to wait for employers
- Floating wind farms explored for South Africa seas - where wind speeds are faster
- Treating Covid-19 in SA is costing around R150,000 per person – before indirect expenses