Poke bowls, mushroom stir fry top takeaway orders as South Africans ditch unhealthier options
- Poke bowls, frozen mixed berries and mushroom stir fry have been the most-ordered healthy meals on Uber Eats.
- Uber Eats reports that usage of the keyword "healthy" grew by 82% from customer searches.
- According to the delivery service, they have seen a 71% increase in the number of healthy meal orders in April.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Healthy meal orders on Uber Eats have increased by 71%, according to the ordering platform's latest statistics.
Poke bowls - in various flavour combinations - were the most-ordered healthier item.
"With gyms closed and home workouts buffering, maintaining a robust lifestyle has become increasingly difficult," says Uber Eats general manager, Ailyssa Pretorius.
Pretorius adds that South Africans are leading the pack as the world's population moves towards a healthier lifestyle during worldwide lockdowns to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
"Since the app was able to deliver under Level 4, there has been a steep increase in food orders that are fresh, organic and health-conscious."
Uber Eats reports that customer searches for the keyword "healthy" grew by 82%. Protein bars and spring rolls were among the most popular snacks ordered, while fruit smoothies were a firm favourite drink.
Uber Eats' most popular healthy items in April 2020 were:
- Mushroom Stir Fry
- Mixed Vegetable and Fruit Box
- Frozen Mixed Berries
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Canned Tuna
Here is the "healthy" list for 2019:
- Chicken Wraps
- Steak and Vegetable Wraps
- Protein Strips
- Green Salad
- Vegetable Wraps
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- A draft law sets SA’s drunk-driving limit to zero – and govt is keen to get it enacted
- From Sasol to Shoprite - here are some bursaries available for university study in 2021
- Chinese manufacturing output surged the most in 9 years in May
- Incredible photos from SpaceX's historic mission to send astronauts into space
- 12 tourist hot spots planning to reopen this June