US president Donald Trump's team released a video of him as Thanos, the villain who commits genocide in the 'Avengers' movies, and people are puzzled
- On Tuesday, House Democrats, led by Speaker Nancy Pelosi, announced two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump.
- Trump on Twitter accused the Democrats of conducting a "witch hunt."
- One of the Trump team's Twitter accounts - called Trump War Room - posted a video that superimposes the president's face onto the Marvel supervillain Thanos from the "Avengers" movie franchise.
- Thanos' goal in life is to wipe out half of all life in the universe. In the Twitter video, the Trump-Thanos character snaps his fingers to make Pelosi, Rep. Adam Schiff, and Rep. Jerry Nadler disappear.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
In the "Avengers" franchise, superheroes struggle to prevent a supervillain from wiping out half of all life in the universe.
On Tuesday, President Donald Trump's team released a video depicting the president as that bad guy: Thanos.
In the video, shared on the Trump War Room Twitter account, which is managed by the Team Trump 2020 campaign, Trump's face is superimposed onto Thanos' body. The hybrid character snaps his fingers to make House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff disappear from existence.
The video came after House Democrats unveiled two articles of impeachment against Trump, charging him with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
After the announcement, Trump on Twitter accused the Democrats of lying. Then came the video.
Thanos snaps people out of existenceThanos, a genocidal warlord with a bulbous head and chin, uses a weapon called the infinity gauntlet in the movies "Avengers: Infinity War" and "Avengers: Endgame."
When Thanos snaps his gauntlet-clad fingers, half of everything in existence dies.
"I am inevitable," Thanos tells Iron Man at the climax of "Avengers: Endgame" before the heroes stop Thanos for good.
Twitter users called out the comparison of Trump to Thanos
Many Twitter users were quick to point out Thanos' evil nature, questioning the choice to compare the president and his reelection campaign to the villain.
Some people brought up how Thanos commits genocide, even murdering his own adopted daughter in his quest for power.
Itâ€™s good the president identifies with the character that commits-*check notes*universal genocide
— Wenzler Powers (@WenzlerPowers) December 10, 2019
Y'all realize that Thanos loses? He wipes out half the universe's population before the Avengers can defeat him and reverse the snap, and you think that he's the good guy?
Good grief. — lawhawk (@lawhawk) December 10, 2019
Plus, Thanos doesn't succeed in making anyone disappear for good, either.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Some light at the end of the load shedding tunnel: new independent power plants could be connected to the grid by February. Here’s what is coming online and when.
- Want a loan to install solar panels at your home or business? Here's what the banks are offering
- South Africans are renting dead bodies to scam life insurers
- The US military is testing water-penetrating bullets, reportedly so Navy SEALs can shoot from underwater
- Boris Johnson had a disastrous day on the campaign trail which supporters fear could cost him the election
- 'Fortnite' is finally coming to the Play Store and its creator Epic wants to break how Google taxes apps in the process