Trump declares 'trade wars are good, and easy to win' the day after announcing massive tariffs are coming
- US President Donald Trump said trade wars are "good, and easy to win" in a tweet Friday morning.
- The declaration comes the day after he announced new tariffs on steel and aluminium imports.
President Donald Trump appeared to welcome the possibility of a trade war in a tweet Friday morning, the day after announcing huge tariffs on steel and aluminium are coming.
"When a country (USA) is losing many billions of dollars on trade with virtually every country it does business with, trade wars are good, and easy to win," Trump said. "Example, when we are down $100 billion with a certain country and they get cute, don’t trade anymore-we win big. It’s easy!"
In an unexpected announcement during a meeting of US steel and aluminium executives on Thursday, Trump said steel imports will be subject to a 25% tariff, which functions like a tax on imports, while aluminium will face a 10% tariff. The decision was led to other nations, including allies like Canada and the European Union, to warn of retaliatory measures.
This also raised the spectre of a trade war, in which the US and other countries increase protectionist measures back and forth
Additionally, many experts say the steel and aluminium tariffs may just be the start of Trump's crackdown on trade since he promised serious action during the campaign.
"While we are still far from a global trade war, we continue to stress that the US administration is likely to continue to pull on the protectionist lever in 2018 – feeling emboldened by the recent passage of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and Bipartisan Budget Act," Gregory Daco, chief US economist at Oxford Economics, said in a note Thursday.
There are a number of monumental policy moves on trade Trump could make in the near future, including starting the process of pulling the US out of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and imposing restrictions on the export of intellectual property to China.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news. Sign up here.
- These are the best 5 wines under R80, according to SA's top young sommelier
- Millions of South Africans are turning to Norway to get their weather forecasts – here’s why
- The Maritzburg company that helps make Tesla cars, now brings wifi to millions of air travellers
- Low GI bread and bottled water - surprising products set for a VAT increase
- The mining industry really didn't like the last minister of minerals, but Gwede Mantashe is a pretty complicated guy
- He farms cabbages and sold life policies - 8 things you didn't know about Nhlanhla Nene
- The R1 billion yacht belonging to one of Russia's most eligible bachelors has just docked in Cape Tow
- Where to get the best paid jobs in government (and what to avoid)
- South Africans are probably eating Chinese honey that has been mixed with syrup, warns Wandile Sihlobo
- Barbra Streisand says she successfully made two clones of her pet dog, but that they have 'different personalities'
- South Africa's first black woman winemaker just launched her own brand — and the world can't get enough of it
- Steinhoff can't tell shareholders much – but promises to do 'whatever it takes' to stay afloat
- Even at 15%, South Africa is not paying too much in VAT compared to the rest of the world