- President Donald Trump at a Republican fundraiser on Tuesday joked about allegations that Joe Biden inappropriately touched several women.
- "I felt like Joe Biden. But I meant it," Trump quipped after telling a story about wanting to kiss a US Army general.
- After remarking on Biden being attacked by "socialists" over the touching claims, Trump joked: "'Welcome to the world, Joe. You having a good time, Joe?'"
- The quip appeared to be a reference to the much more serious allegations many women have made against Trump.
President Donald Trump at a Republican fundraiser on Tuesday repeatedly aimed gibes at Joe Biden, and joked he wanted to call him in sympathy at the political trouble caused by a string of allegations that Biden inappropriately touched several women.
Speaking at an event for the National Republican Fundraiser Committee on Tuesday, Trump - who has faced multiple, much more serious, accusations of impropriety from women - told the former Vice President "welcome to the world".
Both men have denied all the allegations against them.
President Trump: "[Biden] is being taken care of pretty well by the socialists. They got to him. Our former Vice President. I was going to call him. I don't know him well. I was going to say, 'Welcome to the world, Joe. You having a good time, Joe?'" https://t.co/sYEfKs2ZzV pic.twitter.com/mvaRpl2pAg— The Hill (@thehill) April 3, 2019
Trump repeatedly mocked Biden's trouble, starting with an anecdote about congratulating a general in Iraq.
"I said, 'General, give me a kiss.' I felt like Joe Biden. But I meant it," Trump said, prompting laughter and applause.
Trump went on to discuss Republicans drawing battle lines for the "war" on socialists in the 2020 election.
He said Biden - the only "non-, sort of, heavy socialist" in contention for the 2020 nomination "is being taken care of pretty well by the socialists".
The mention was a nod to reports that supporters of rival presidential candidate,left-wing Senator Bernie Sanders,are helping to promote the claims against Biden.
Trump continued: "I was going to call him, I don't know him well, I was going to say, 'Welcome to the world, Joe. You having a good time, Joe?'" Trump said.
Trump himself has faced accusations of sexual assault and inappropriate behaviour from multiple women, and his 2016 presidential campaign was almost derailed by the release of the infamous "Access Hollywood" tape, in which he boasted of groping women.
Biden, who has topped polls of likely Democratic challengers to Trump in 2020, has previously taken the president to task for his comments about women.
He claimed at a March 2018 rally that if he were at high school he would "take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him," with the president in response claiming that he would floor Biden in a physical confrontation.
The latest allegations against Biden emerged on Tuesday night, when two more women came forward to accuse Biden of unwanted and inappropriate touching.
For more go to Business Insider South Africa.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- These 3 wealthy African kings are worth R89 billion
- Video appears to show a Tesla Model S travelling on the road at speed with no one in the driver's seat
- Facebook is asking some new users for their email passwords and appears to be harvesting their contacts without consent
- We tested the new R5 bags from Checkers, Pick n Pay and Woolworths – and found that there’s really no excuse to use plastic anymore
- New Zealand parliament votes overwhelmingly in favour of new gun laws
- The new Samsung Galaxy S10 has an 'Instagram mode' to more easily post to your Stories — here's how it works