Donald Trump was impeached with more votes against him than any other US president
- President Donald Trump on Wednesday became the third president in US history to be impeached.
- The House of Representatives backed two articles of impeachment against him: abuse of power, and obstruction of Congress.
- It voted 230 to 197 in favor of abuse of power and 229 to 198 in favour of obstruction.
- More representatives voted to impeach Trump than in either of the two previous impeachments, of Bill Clinton in 1998 and Andrew Johnson in 1868.
- However, the vote against Johnson was, proportionally, more decisive. The House, which then had far fewer members, voted 66% to impeach, versus 52% for Trump.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump became only the third president in US history to be impeached Wednesday, when the House of Representatives backed two articles of impeachment against him: abuse of power, and obstruction of congress.
The House voted 230 to 197 in favor of an article accusing Trump of abuse of power, and 229 to 198 in favor an article accusing him of obstruction of Congress.
Compared to the previous two impeachments in US history, Trump had more votes against him than either of his predecessors - Bill Clinton in 1998, and Andrew Johnson in 1868.
Clinton was impeached on charges that related to a sexual harassment lawsuit and for claims that he lied under oath over his affair with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.
He faced articles of impeachment of perjury and obstructing justice, both of which were passed by the House, with the following majorities:
- Perjury: 228 votes to impeach, 206 against.
- Obstruction of justice: 221 votes to impeach, 212 against.
In both cases, Trump comes out just ahead.
On a sheer numbers basis, Trump's impeachment was also more decisive than the vote against Johnson, who received 126 votes for his impeachment, 47 against, and 17 members who did not vote.
However, in the late 1800s the US had only 37 states and the House was a smaller body. Proportionally, the anti-Johnson vote was stronger, with around 66% of representatives against him, compared to 52% against Trump.
- Read more:
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Everything you need to know about US president Donald Trump's impeachment process: What's happened, who the players are, and what comes next
- A pregnant python, which weighs 33kgs and is 4 metres long, has been rescued from a luxury KZN estate
- We compared mince pies from Checkers, Pick n Pay, Spar, and Woolworths – and we have a new champion and one clear loser
- Shocking footage caught tons of plastic crashing in the waves off Durban following heavy rains
- A dad makes his daughter hilarious posters when he picks her up from the airport, and the internet is loving it
- Airbnb has just added isiZulu, isiXhosa and Kiswahili - here’s what gets translated and what stays in English.
- Famed design house MaXhosa just opened its first ever retail store – but you may have to wait 7 days for stuff you buy to arrive