US president Donald Trump goes on a Twitter tear hours after being impeached, says the '100% Republican Vote' is 'what people are talking about'
- President Donald Trump went on a Twitter rampage on Thursday morning after the House voted to impeach him on Wednesday night, making him the third president in US history to be impeached.
- The president retweeted dozens of messages defending himself from the constitutional process he's long disparaged.
- He argued that the lack of Republican support for impeachment is evidence of an unfair, partisan process, which he described as "the greatest Witch Hunt in American history."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
President Donald Trump retweeted dozens of messages on Thursday morning, hours after the House voted to impeach him, making him the third president in US history to be impeached.
Beginning in the early morning, the president retweeted dozens of messages defending himself from the constitutional process he's long disparaged. And he argued that the lack of Republican support for impeachment is evidence of an unfair, partisan process, which he described as "the greatest Witch Hunt in American history."
"100% Republican Vote. That's what people are talking about," he wrote on Thursday morning. "The Republicans are united like never before!"
I got Impeached last night without one Republican vote being cast with the Do Nothing Dems on their continuation of the greatest Witch Hunt in American history. Now the Do Nothing Party want to Do Nothing with the Articles & not deliver them to the Senate, but itâ€™s Senateâ€™s call!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 19, 2019
The president also attacked Democratic freshman Rep. Rashida Tlaib, retweeting a video she posted showing her appearing enthusiastic about voting to impeach him.
Trump alternately poked fun at and slammed his impeachment during a rally in Michigan Wednesday night.
"I just said to the first lady, you're so lucky I took you on this fantastic journey - it's so much fun, they want to impeach you, they want to do worse than that," he said. "And by the way, it doesn't really feel like we're being impeached."
At the same rally, he also strongly implied that a beloved Michigan congressman was "looking up" from hell after his wife voted in favor of impeachment.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Everything you need to know about US president Donald Trump's impeachment process: What's happened, who the players are, and what comes next
- A pregnant python, which weighs 33kgs and is 4 metres long, has been rescued from a luxury KZN estate
- We compared mince pies from Checkers, Pick n Pay, Spar, and Woolworths – and we have a new champion and one clear loser
- Shocking footage caught tons of plastic crashing in the waves off Durban following heavy rains
- A dad makes his daughter hilarious posters when he picks her up from the airport, and the internet is loving it
- Airbnb has just added isiZulu, isiXhosa and Kiswahili - here’s what gets translated and what stays in English.
- Famed design house MaXhosa just opened its first ever retail store – but you may have to wait 7 days for stuff you buy to arrive