Trump’s campaign is running anti TikTok ads on Facebook, accusing it of 'spying on you'
- The campaign to re-elect US President Donald Trump is now running political ads on Facebook and Instagram that accuse TikTok of "spying" on users.
- The ads, launched Friday, encourage users to sign a petition banning TikTok, the viral app that's raising national security concerns due to its ties to China through its parent company ByteDance.
- In recent weeks, the American president and government officials have said they're considering banning TikTok in the US, where the app has an estimated userbase as high as 80 million.
- Visit Business Insider SA's homepage for more stories.
As US President Donald Trump considers banning TikTok, his political campaign has started running ads on Facebook and Instagram accusing the China-based platform of "spying" on its users.
More than 100 iterations of ads were launched Friday encouraging Facebook users to sign a petition banning TikTok in the US. The ads, first spotted by New York Times reporter Taylor Lorenz, come as the US government threatens to instate a country-wide ban on the viral video-sharing app over its ties to China.
TikTok's roots in China - where the app's parent company, ByteDance, is located - have long raised questions from US lawmakers and security experts about how much access and influence the Chinese government is afforded over user data and content moderation. Concerns over the TikTok-China connection have skyrocketed in recent weeks after India decided to instate its own ban on the app earlier this month.
The campaign's political ads also claim that "TikTok has been caught red-handed by monitoring what is on your phone's clipboard." The accusation is based on research from March showing how apps are able to access content stored on the clipboard - the copy-and-paste feature - of users' iPhones and iPads. TikTok was only one of the dozens of the apps caught spying on iPhone clipboards, including LinkedIn and Fox News. ByteDance has since said it will stop accessing clipboard content.
In recent weeks, the Trump campaign has also taken out ads against Twitter and Snapchat, claiming they're "attempting to silence" the president.
In early July, both the US President and his Secretary of State Mike Pompeo publicly said they were considering a TikTok ban in the US: Trump said the ban would be a way to punish China over its role in the coronavirus pandemic, while Pompeo cited national security concerns. On Thursday, White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow told reporters he expected TikTok to "pull out of the holding company which is China-run and operate as an independent American company."
Since TikTok launched in the US in 2018, the app has successfully been able to brush off lawmakers' calls for investigations and national security experts' warnings. Most recently, TikTok launched a content advisory council to guide policy changes and appointed a US-based CEO in June to show it was distancing itself from its Chinese roots.
But TikTok has also run afoul of the Trump campaign for reasons beyond its ties to China. Swarms of TikTok teens and K-pop fans were credited last month with signing up en masse for tickets to a major Trump rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Instead of the big comeback that the Trump campaign advertised, attendance at the rally was considerably lacking.
TikTok's reported influence on the Tulsa rally demonstrates how the app has grown into a social media powerhouse, establishing itself as a staple of internet culture and social interaction for Generation Z. The app has more than 2 billion global downloads, and an estimated US userbase at as high as 80 million. It outperforms US-based apps with younger audiences such as Snapchat and Instagram in both new downloads and time spent.
The imminent threat of TikTok disappearing from the US has already signalled panic among users and creators, and has led attempts by tech companies to capitalise on the chaos to lure the app's loyal following to their competing platforms.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Nestlé swears it isn't ending Peppermint Crisp and Quality Street – but some sizes are toast
- Truck drivers from Botswana keep catching the coronavirus in SA
- The Free State plans ‘extreme measures’ to lure tourists
- Durex condom sales are slumping as 'intimate occasions' disappear during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Like minibus taxis, Uber and Bolt will be allowed to load 100% capacity – but they’re not keen yet