Trump's campaign claims he will protect Brazil's Christ the Redeemer statue from vandalism
- President Donald Trump's reelection campaign claimed in a series of ads that the administration would "protect" Brazil's famous Christ the Redeemer statue from potential destruction by vandals.
- This comes as the president has aggressively campaigned against protesters who've torn down or vandalised American monuments and statues.
- For more articles, go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
President Donald Trump's reelection campaign bizarrely claimed in a series of ads that the administration would protect Brazil's iconic Christ the Redeemer statue from potential destruction by vandals, the Daily Beast first reported.
This comes as the president has aggressively campaigned against protesters who've torn down or vandalised American monuments and statues, including those honouring Confederate and colonial figures, in recent weeks.
"The President wants to know who stood with him against the Radical Left," the Facebook and Instagram ads read. Under a photo of the iconic Rio de Janeiro statue, it said "WE WILL PROTECT THIS."
It's unclear why the president believes he could protect a monument in a foreign country. The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The president recently warned, without presenting any evidence, that demonstrators in the United States are considering attacking statues of Jesus and promised to prevent this from happening. He signed an executive order last week "on Building and Rebuilding Monuments to American Heroes" that mandates a 10-year prison sentence for those convicted of damaging federal monuments.
On Saturday, Trump framed his divisive July 4th speech at Mount Rushmore around what he called "a merciless campaign to wipe out our history, defame our heroes, erase our values, and indoctrinate our children."
"Angry mobs are trying to tear down statues of our Founders, deface our most sacred memorials, and unleash a wave of violent crime in our cities," Trump said in South Dakota. "The American people are strong and proud, and they will not allow our country, and all of its values, history, and culture, to be taken from them."
Trump went on, "Make no mistake: this left-wing cultural revolution is designed to overthrow the American Revolution ... To make this possible, they are determined to tear down every statue, symbol, and memory of our national heritage."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- From Takealot to Mediclinic - here are some bursaries available for university study in 2021
- Cinemas, theatres and libraries can now reopen – here are all the new rules
- Clover milk now comes in blue bottles - as part of the strangest campaign we've seen in a while
- SARS can’t just order a bank to pay over your tax debt, court rules
- Pick n Pay will now load ‘personalised’ discounts on your Smart Shopper card