Twitter locked the official Trump campaign account after it referred to the story on Hunter Biden
- The official Twitter account for the Trump campaign was locked as of Thursday morning, according to communication's director Tim Murtaugh.
- It follows efforts by platforms to limit the circulation of a dubious New York Post article with incendiary claims about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden and his son Hunter.
- Murtaugh tweeted from his personal account a screenshot of the campaign's account status, showing a notice from Twitter saying it had been locked.
- The campaign account's tweet, which is no longer available, contained "clips of Joe Biden lying," Murtaugh said, without evidence.
- Business Insider has approached Twitter for comment but did not immediately receive a reply.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The official Trump campaign Twitter account has been locked after it posted clips relating to the recent New York Post story about Hunter Biden, according to its communications director Tim Murtaugh.
Tweeting from his own account, Murtaugh said that the campaign tweet posted a video clip of what he described without evidence as Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden "lying," about his son Hunter.
The campaign tweet is no longer available.
"Twitter has locked out @TeamTrump for posting video of clips of Joe Biden lying about never speaking to Hunter about foreign business deals. Includes snips of @nypost exposing the lies," Murtaugh said in his tweet.
Twitter has locked out @TeamTrump for posting video of clips of Joe Biden lying about never speaking to Hunter about foreign business deals.
Includes snips of @nypost exposing the lies.
Biden doesnâ€™t dispute the authenticity of the docs.
Business Insider has contacted Twitter to find out the content of the unavailable tweet that prompted the locking, and asked the reasoning for the account being barred.
Twitter cited the same rule when blocking the circulation of the controversial New York Post article earlier today.
As Business Insider's Sonam Sheth has reported, the New York Post story has numerous question marks over its accuracy and sourcing.Conservatives have been in uproar over the actions social media companies have taken to limit the sharing of the New York Post article, as Business Insider's Tom Porter reported. Twitter founder Jack Dorsey earlier tweeted an admission that company communication over this decision "was not great" and that blocking sharing of links without providing context for the decision was "unacceptable."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Ramaphosa’s rescue plan – here are the new announcements
- Black Friday becomes Black November - what Makro and others are planning
- ‘Made in SA, not China.’ Why Foschini, Mr Price and Truworths now want local clothes
- Why most house prices continue to climb in South Africa
- Qatar Airways partners with SA's Airlink to connect flights in the region
- Amid SA's economic gloom, exports boom thanks to gold price, citrus