Donald Trump says 'all is well' after a barrage of Iranian missiles rained down on US forces in Iraq
- In his first response to a missile attack by Iran on US forces in Iraq, President Donald Trump tweeted that 'all is well.'
- The president's tweet follows an Iranian missile attack on US military and coalition forces in Iraq Wednesday morning (in Iraq) in apparent retaliation for the killing of top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani.
- The attack marked the latest development in a tit-for-tat military exchange between the US and Iran and its proxies.
- For more visit Business Insider South Africa.
In his first response to a missile attack by Iran on US forces in Iraq, President Donald Trump tweeted late Tuesday that "all is well" - a change of pace from earlier tweets threatening to hit Iran hard if it retaliated against US forces for the killing of a senior Iranian military official.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
"So far, so good!" he tweeted. "We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far!" The president added that he will make a follow-on statement in the morning.
The president's tweet, a mild response compared to his more threatening recent tweets, follows an Iranian missile attack on US military and coalition forces in Iraq Wednesday morning (in Iraq), the latest in a tit-for-tat exchange between the US and Iran.
"Iran launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles" targeting "at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al-Assad and Irbil," the Pentagon said in a statement Tuesday evening.
The attack follows a US drone strike ordered by President Trump that killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Force Quds Force. In the wake of the strike, Iran's senior leadership vowed to take "harsh retaliation" against the US.
"General Soleimani was actively developing plans to attack American diplomats and service members in Iraq and throughout the region," the Department of Defense said in a statement following the termination of Soleimani. "This strike was aimed at deterring future Iranian attack plans."
The US linked the slain general to a rocket attack carried out by an Iran-backed militia in Iraq that killed a US civilian contractor and wounded several service members and an assault on the US Embassy in Baghdad, a response to the bombing of militia positions following the rocket attack.
The overt missile attack Wednesday on the US military, which Iran's IRGC claimed to have carried out in retaliation for the strike that killed Soleimani, seemed to mark a shift in Iranian behaviour from the mining of tankers, the shooting down of a US drone, and the attacks on Saudi oil facilities, although it quickly signaled an apparent desire to de-escalate in the aftermath.
The US has deployed more than 15,000 US troops to the Middle East since May to strengthen the US force posture in the region amid rising regional tensions with Iran. In the past few days alone, the US military has sent thousands of additional troops to the region.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Gyms and fitness trainers will be government regulated – and can be shut down – under a new draft plan
- Princess Diana’s 29–year old niece is marrying the 60-year old chairperson of Foschini - here’s what you need to know about Michael Lewis’ career
- How to find an online bargain in South Africa: Make deliberate spelling mistakes and search for ‘unwanted gifts’
- ‘South Africa is coming back.’ Almost half of Bank of America’s top global shares for 2020 are listed on the JSE
- Nuke experts: It's not too soon to worry if Trump may use nuclear weapons
- Google just revealed that half a billion people around the world are using the Google Assistant as it battles with Amazon to conquer the smart home