Trump campaign adviser says Covid-19 protocol at rallies won't change after president's hospitalisation
- Senior adviser to Donald Trump's reelection campaign Jason Miller told CNN's Ana Cabrera on Sunday that campaign rally protocol will continue to be the same after Trump recovers from Covid-19.
- He said the campaign would continue to take attendees' temperatures, provide face masks, and hand out hand sanitizer.
- Photos from previous Trump's rallies, however, show little social distancing, and few people wearing masks.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
Senior adviser to Donald Trump's reelection campaign Jason Miller said that Covid-19 protocol at rallies wouldn't change despite the president's recent hospitalization due to the virus.
Miller spoke to CNN's Ana Cabrera on Sunday about campaign rallies that would take place after Trump recovers from the virus, saying the same protocols that were in place before Trump tested positive for Covid-19 would continue.
He said the campaign would still take attendees' temperatures, provide face masks, and give out hand sanitizer.
"You know what, that's been a very safe and responsible thing to do," Miller told CNN. "That's what we've done from the beginning of this."
Photos and videos from previous Trump rallies, however, show attendees flouting social distancing guidelines and avoiding wearing masks.
Throughout the pandemic, health experts have urged people to wear face masks, encouraged social distancing, and said those who test positive for Covid-19 should isolate from others to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
"But also we've seen with Joe Biden, we can't all just stay in our basement for the rest of our lives," Miller added. "We have to get out there and live our lives and take this on, develop the vaccine, develop more therapeutics, and defeat it."
Trump tested positive for Covid-19 last week and spent the weekend hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
After representatives for the administration and Walter Reed issued contrary descriptions of the president's condition over the past few days, Trump surprised supporters outside the facility with a public drive-by on Sunday.
He was criticized by a doctor at Walter Reed, who accused Trump of putting the lives of Secret Service agents at risk for the sake of "political theater."
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA’s business travel rules: Your test is good for 14 days, and you can beg at the border
- Rain banned from claiming ‘unlimited data 24/7' on 5G due to inconsistent connections
- Ndabeni-Abrahams says her WhatsApp messages were hacked - here's what we know
- Trump's doctor won't breathe a 'deep sigh of relief' for another week
- Students can't pay extra for tuition and housing because academic year ends in 2021, govt rules
- Hidden location, password entry and a R360 cocktail - inside Cape Town’s secret bar