Two South African lodges are among the 17 top resorts in the world, according to travellers
- Conde Nast Traveler released its annual ranking of the best resorts in October.
- To inform the list, the publication surveyed travellers via the annual Readers' Choice Awards.
- This year's list is a little different since non-essential travel was on-hold for much of 2020, and it highlights places that resonated with readers "in a year when travel may have been out of reach."
- Most of the top resorts this year are safari getaways in Africa, like Singita Sabi Sand's Boulder Lodge in South Africa.
- While nonessential travel is no longer discouraged, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns that "travel increases your chance of getting and spreading COVID-19."
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
17. Located on a wildlife reserve in South Africa, Singita Sabi Sand's Boulders Lodge features 12 suites with private decks and pools. Starting rates are around R32,000 a night per person.
16. For around the same starting price, Singita's Pamushana Lodge in Zimbabwe's Malilangwe Reserve features seven villas — each with a private pool — and a main lodge.
15. In California's famed Napa Valley, the Auberge du Soleil is an Auberge Resorts Collection hotel on 33 acres of vineyards.
Source: Auberge Resorts Collection
14. Inside Tarangire National Park in Tanzania, Oliver's Camp is a glamping resort with 10 tents placed for prime wildlife viewing.
Source: Oliver's Camp
13. On Malolo Island, Fiji, Likuliku Lagoon Resort is a hotel for adults with rooms on the water
Source: Likuliku Lagoon Resort
12. Conde Nast Traveler reports the rooms are spacious at Le Barthélemy Hotel & Spa, a beachfront resort in St. Bart.
11. Matakauri Lodge is a lakefront mountain resort in Queenstown, New Zealand.
Source: Matakauri Lodge
10. The Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge is nestled in the Virunga Mountains of Volcano National Park in Rwanda.
Source: Wilderness Safaris
9. Bushcamp Chamilandu is a riverside treehouse resort in Zambia's South Luangwa National Park with only three rooms.
8. With only five total suites, the Morukuru Family Beach Lodge in South Africa's De Hoop Nature Reserve typically costs at least around R16,000 a night for two guests, depending on the season.
Source: Morukuru Family Beach Lodge
7. In Tanzania next to Serengeti National Park, Singita Grumeti is a mobile resort camp that follows animal herds for prime wildlife viewing.
6. Twin Farms is a Southern Vermont rural resort known for its exceptional service, Conde Nast Traveler reports.
5. Naladhu Private Island Maldives is a beachside resort on its own islet in the Maldives with only 19 rooms.
4. On a riverbank in Chiang Mai, Thailand, Anantara Chiang Mai Resort is a hotel with an open-air restaurant and a rooftop bar.
3. The Nautilus in the Maldives is a beachside private bungalow resort.
Source: The Nautilus Maldives
2. In Bali, Indonesia, The Mulia & Mulia Villas is on the coast of the Indian Ocean.
Source: The Mulia
1. L'Horizon Resort & Spa is a bungalow retreat in Palm Springs, California, where every afternoon, the staff brings each guests a tiny surprise — from ice cream to tequila shots.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Get the best of our site emailed to you daily: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa: