- Toto’s iconic song "Africa" is set to play on an endless loop in the Namib desert.
- The installation consists of six speakers attached to an MP3 player, powered by solar power.
- The artist wants it to be the ultimate homage and physically exhibit "Africa" in Africa.
The iconic song “Africa” by US rock group Toto, released in 1981, is set to play on an endless loop in the Namib desert, the world’s oldest desert.
Powered by solar power, the installation titled “Toto Forever” by Namibian-german artists Max Siedentopf is meant to pay tribute to “probably the most popular song of the last four decades”.
It consists of six speakers attached to an MP3 player which has “Africa” on repeat, and stands on seven individual stands in the desert.
In an entry on his website, Siedentopf said the solar batteries will make sure to “keep Toto going for all eternity”.
Speaking to the BBC, Siedentopf said he wanted the installation to be the ultimate homage and physically exhibit 'Africa' in Africa.
"Some [Namibians] love it and some say it's probably the worst sound installation ever. I think that's a great compliment."
The installation stands in an undisclosed spot in the 55-million-year-old Namib and Siedentopf says he hopes it plays for another 55 million years.
Toto’s “Africa” was the most streamed song of 2017, with over 440 million views on Youtube.
The almost five-minute song has remained popular in pop culture, and has been subject to memes and even entire Reddit pages.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This beautiful South African photo is among the best wedding pics in the world
- These are the hottest financial shares right now, according to the South African who was the world’s top fund manager for four years in a row
- Discovery Vitality is starting to demand that you tag out of gyms as well as into them – to stop fake, no-exercise visits
- SA is considering a crackdown on anonymous crypto-assets – this is how a new plan could affect bitcoin investors