This is what Roger Federer says he'd be doing if he wasn't a tennis player — and why he chose the sport instead
- Tennis champion Roger Federer once considered becoming a professional soccer player.
- Federer would have found himself in the same era as Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, and Neymar.
- But he chose tennis because he "wanted to be in total control."
Roger Federer, widely considered the greatest tennis player of all time, once hoped to be a soccer player.
The 36-year-old always wanted to pursue a career in sports and had it not been for tennis, he could have found himself competing against the likes of FC Barcelona forward Lionel Messi, Real Madrid striker Cristiano Ronaldo, and Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar.
"I was hoping to be a soccer player once upon a time," he told the Miami Herald. "I liked midfield and scoring goals."
So what made him choose tennis?
Well, the answer lies in a fundamental difference between the two sports.
If his team lost in soccer, he would find people to blame. But if he lost in tennis, he knew he could only blame himself.
"I chose tennis because I didn’t want to blame the goalie or defender, I wanted to be in total control," he said.
With 20 major tennis titles and an Olympic gold medal, it is clear Federer made the right move.
Federer won his last major earlier this year when he scooped the 2018 Australian Open.
However, he recently suffered a shock second round loss to Thanasi Kokkinakis in the Miami Open and it is unclear when he will return to the court, as he will skip the entire clay court season.
"You take a break, get away from it all, and get back to practice court and work," he said in The Guardian.
You can see Federer's soccer skills here:
- German billionaire to own half of Gautrain operator as Murray & Roberts receives takeover bid
- There’s a new Aromat on shelves minus all that tasty MSG – but with a catch
- China's space station is about to fall from the sky — and no one is sure where it will land
- Elon Musk’s dad has had a baby with his stepdaughter, who is 42 years younger than him - report
- SA's most popular drone is way ahead of its competitors. Here are the 5 reasons why
- South African knights – in full shiny armour – are fighting it out over weekends
- SA just dodged a R167 billion bullet – here’s what it means for you
- These are some of South Africa's most brazen medical aid scams and schemes
- These online courses (from as little as R140) can land you a hot job in tech
- Le Creuset, which is owned by a South African, has apologised for angering its black fans
- The closest thing you can find to Wakanda in the real world is Wits, according to the world's biggest news agency
- We tried KFC's new 'mojito' - and one ingredient was a bit overpowering
- 34 years of hard slog, and then 2 big promotions in 6 days: what we know about new acting Sars boss Mark Kingon
Amazon is selling fake Basotho blankets in the middle of the Black Panther craze – and they are really ugly
- Cyril Ramaphosa is backing the Afro – but a single African currency may only work if it is pegged to the rand, says an economist
- A medium at Woolworths? You’re actually a XXL at Mr Price. Why SA’s clothing sizes are crazy
- We compared the price of contracts that come with an iPhone X – and the winner is R1,200 a year cheaper than the rest
- These are the 5 most expensive South African wines you can buy right now – if you are willing to spend up to R5,000 per bottle
- 'World's most comfortable shoe' now made from South African invasive trees
- South Africa’s top barista showed us how to brew the perfect cup of coffee