Meet Nduvo. He’s got everything you would want from a buffalo: good lineage, an enormous body, nice horns and he’s only four years old.
He was also owned by President Cyril Ramaphosa, who sold him for R4.1 million at the Stud Game Breeders auction, hosted near Bela-Bela, Limpopo, the past weekend. His half sisters, Mamiki, Tondi and Lindi sold for R5.9 million.
The night before the auction, Ramaphosa addressed 400 of the world’s biggest game buyers. He reportedly told them that the ANC's land policy will be implemented responsibly. In the audience, there were some of the country’s biggest landholders, who arrived in private jets and helicopters. Ramaphosa did not witness the sale as he left on an official trip to China.
1. A bull named Nduvo sold for R4.1 million
Nduvo is the offspring of Monster, sire, and Mama Africa, his dam.
2. Zonke, a large buffalo cow, sold for R320,000
3. Rutendo, a sable antelope, sold for R180,000
This West Zambian sable cow has beautiful flare, and will be ‘in calf’ (pregnant) upon delivery.
4. Another sable antelope named Tambura sold for R340,000
5. Lulu sold for R300,000
6. Sibasais is rare Ugandan Ankole bull that sold for R250,000
The breed of cattle is known for its iconic, sweeping horns and Ramaphosa is a fan. He became interested in Ankole when he visited Ugandan president, Yoweri Museveni, in 2004 and imported them into SA.
7. Two Ankole cows and their calves sold for R840,000
8. R680,000 was paid for two cows who were impregnated by this guy, Tshinakaho
9. Zahara, a sable antelope with Zambian heritage, sold for R540,000
10. Linde and Selala, two sable antelopes, sold for R300,000
11. Mamiki is the pinnacle of breeding achievement and fetched R2.1 million. She is the daughter of Monster, making her the half sister to Nduvo
Mamiki has a "deep mid rib, level top line and broad chest". According to the auctioneers, she is "the pick of the buffalo, ladies!
12. Otavi, the Oryx, sold for R120,000
An oryx bull of an exceptionally deep red colour.
13. Amara and her baby sold for R1.75 million
14. Tondi sold for R2 million
She, like Nduvo and Mamiki, is Monster's offspring.
15. Lindi and her calf fetched R1.8 million
Also the offspring of Monster.
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Nando's just burned Absa with a hilarious ad featuring hyenas and burning TVs
- This is how much cheaper polony is right now – compared to before listeriosis
- Bruce Whitfield: SA’s biggest problem is that we can’t see a positive future
- Stunning time-lapse images show how Cape Town's biggest dam has filled up