This is how much more Patrice Motsepe is worth than Barcelona's Messi and Suarez
- The famous footballers of FC Barcelona, who played Mamelodi Sundowns on Wednesday night, earn massive amounts.
- Lionel Messi has a net worth of R3.6 billion and Luis Suarez is worth R495 million.
- But this pales in comparison with the net worth of the owner of Sundowns, Patrice Motsepe.
When FC Barcelona took the field against Mamelodi Sundowns on Wednesday night, their starting line up was a star-studded affair. But though the names of the players are known around the the world, their salaries are marginal compared to the wealth of Patrice Motsepe, Sundowns' owner.
If Motsepe, the fourth richest man in South Africa worth an estimated $2.1 billion (R25.6 billion), were to step out among these global soccer superstars, they would look downright poor by comparison. Lionel Messi has a net worth of "only" R3.6 billion, while Luis Suarez's wealth is valued at R495 million.
FC Barcelona made $688 million (R11.3 billion) last year.
These are the highest paid players at Camp Nou, according to their annual salaries, ignoring bonuses and endorsement deals.
Messi R436.8 million
Suarez R254.8 million
Coutinho R208 million
Ousmane Dembélé R192.4 million
Sergio Busquets R156 million
Gerard Piqué R145.6 million
Andrés Iniesta R145.6 million
Ivan Rakitic R88.4 million
Paulinho R88.4 million
Jordi Alba R88.4 million
- We analysed who the better big-game player is, Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi — and the stats show the winner is clear
- Russian World Cup architect admits ‘it is possible’ that FNB Stadium was inspiration for eerily similar Mordovia Arena
- Five famous South Africans - including a rugby hero and two CEOs - who are keen mountain bikers