The Heart and Stroke Foundation of South Africa has scrapped its endorsement of popular white rice, pasta and other refined wheat products - including Spekko rice and Jungle Taystee Wheat porridge.
These products won't be sold with the "Heart Mark" - the foundation's endorsement logo - any more.
"The endorsement programme is part of an ongoing effort by the foundation to reduce the number of deaths in South Africa from preventable heart disease and stroke," it said in a statemnt.
Who would have predicted this? @SAHeartStroke no longer considers "healthy" grains so healthy https://t.co/c8kqh0QuQs Removes refined grains from the Healthy Heart Mark criteria. Next up? Margarine and 'vegetable oils' removed and saturated fat exonerated (as the evidence shows)?— Tim Noakes (@ProfTimNoakes) September 9, 2018
Its decision to take action against pasta and rice products should "help consumers choose whole grain foods over refined foods," the foundation says.
"Endorsing both whole grain and refined cereal grains does not assist members of the public make better food choices."
Several recent studies suggest that the best diets are based around whole grains, vegetables, and lean proteins.
Diets high in refined carbs have been tied to weight gain and obesity. A review of 50 studies on diet and weight gain published in the US journal Food and Nutrition Research found that on average, the more refined grains someone ate (like white bread and white rice), the more weight they tended to gain over the study period. By contrast, the more whole grain foods someone ate (like whole-wheat bread and brown rice), the less weight they tended to gain.
From a nutritional standpoint, white rice pales in comparison to its whole grain cousin, brown rice.
It gets digested quickly, is rapidly processed into sugar, and only fills you up for a short period of time. In comparison, brown rice is processed slowly, churning out a steady stream of fuel to power your muscles and keep you feeling sharp.
These are the products which will from 1 April 2019, no longer have the Heart and Stroke Foundation endorsement:
• Allsome Parboiled Rice
• Rice of the World - Bonnet Rice
• Rice of the World - Jasmine
• Tastic Long Grain Parboiled Rice
• Rice of the World - Risotto
• Rice of the World - Sushi
• Jungle Taystee Wheat
• Sta Rice
• Cresta Long Grain Parboiled Rice
• Aunt Caroline Long Grain Parboiled Rice
• Aunt Caroline Basmati Rice
• Paddy Everyday Rice
• Paddy Aromatic White Rice
• Paddy Sushi Rice
• Paddy 'Sela' Parboiled Basmati Rice
• Pasta Grande Maize Fusilli
• Pasta Grande Maize Penne
• Pasta Grande Maize Macaroni
• Pasta Grande Maize Gnocchi
• Pasta Grande Wheat Shells
• Pasta Grande Wheat Penne Rigate
• Pasta Grande Wheat Screws
• Pasta Grande Wheat Elbows
• Pasta Grande Wheat Spaghetti
• Pasta Grande Wheat Mixed Ribbons
• Pasta Grande Wheat Cavatappi
• Pasta Grande Wheat Macaroni
• Pasta Grande Wheat Gnocchi
• Spekko Long Grain Parboiled Rice
• Spekko Royal Umbrella Jasmine Rice
• Spekko White Rice
• Spekko Indian Gate Basmati Rice
• Really Rice Parboiled Rice
• Really Rice White Rice
• Pasta La Vita Penne Rigate
• Pasta La Vita Vermicelle
• Pasta La Vita Elbows
• Pasta La Vita Gnocchi
• Pasta La Vita Tagliatelle
• Pasta La Vita Fusilli
• Macaroni for Africa
• Pouyoukas Potato Flour
• Pouyoukas Couscous
• Pouyoukas Mediterranean Tomato Couscous
• Pouyoukas Rice Flour
• Pouyoukas Mild Indian Couscous
Additional reporting by Erin Brodwin
Also from Business Insider South Africa: