These are the tallest buildings in every province of South Africa
- Outside of those hosting big metros, SA's provinces are still a long way from gleaming skyscrapers.
- The tallest buildings in each SA province range from a 16 floor Post Office to Africa's tallest skyscraper.
- 45 years later, Gauteng's Carlton Centre is still not only the tallest building in SA, but Africa too.
The tallest building in each SA province isn't always even a skyscraper.
The average number of floors for the tallest buildings in non-metro provinces (Northern Cape, Limpopo, Mpumalanga, North West and the Free State) is a mere 16, while the average height for the tallest buildings in the economic hubs (KwaZulu-Natal, Western Cape, Gauteng and disputably, the Eastern Cape) stands at 33 floors.
These are the tallest buildings in every South African province - ranked lowest to tallest
9. North West, Rustenburg City Council - 8 floors above ground
The building manager tells Business Insider SA that excluding the basement, the Rustenburg mayor's offices comprises eight floors.
8. Mpumalanga, Rob Ferreira Hospital's housing for health professionals - 12 floors above ground
Business Insider SA had previously stated that the tallest building in Mpumalanga is the Pinnacle but as it turns out, it's actually the health department’s housing for doctors at Rob Ferreira Hospital that is 12 floors above ground level according to Professional Engineer, Terrance Herron of DMV Consultants in Mbombela.
7. Northern Cape, Kimberley Post Office - 16 floors above ground
The modern architectural styled building in Kimberley is 59.31 metres tall, making it the tallest in the Northern Cape.
6. Limpopo, Nedbank Building - 17 floors above ground
The building comprises commercial offices and is 63.05 metres tall.
5. Eastern Cape, Sanport 140 - 22 floors above ground
The Sanport 140 in Port Elizabeth stands at 81.59 metres.
4. Free State, Loch Logan Park - 27 floors above ground
The Loch Logan Park in Bloemfontein houses apartments and is 73 metres shy in height from Ponte City in Johannesburg, Africa's tallest residential skyscraper (173m).
3. Kwa-Zulu Natal, Pearl Dawn - 31 floors above ground
Completed in 2008, the 152 metre building in Umhlanga just outside Durban is one of SA's tallest hotels.
2. Western Cape, Portside Tower - 32 floors above ground
Owned by the First National Bank and Accelerate Property Fund, the building boasts expansive views of Cape Town.
1. Gauteng, Carlton Centre - 50 floors above ground
The Carlton in Johannesburg is not only Gauteng and SA's tallest building but is still the title-holder as Africa's tallest skyscraper – for 45 years and counting.
More on property, construction, architecture and design:
- This is what R10,000 in rent will get you in Sandton – and 10km away in the Joburg CBD
- These Joburg offices now have farms inside them — and workers get to harvest lunch
- These ultra-luxury villas near the Kruger will cost R90,000 a night – but you get your own butler, spa therapist, and field tracker
- New shock figures from a construction giant show govt spending on SA roads has fallen off a cliff
- South Africans are paying much more for screed concrete floors - this is why it's weird
- 5 of the most awe-inspiring new office buildings in South Africa
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- SA's ill-fitting clothes can hurt your mental health. Knowing your body type can help.
- Drive-thrus are worth 40% more than mall stores for Burger King in South Africa – at least until the economy turns
- A game plan for SA bosses during the World Cup: How to prevent absenteeism and still have fun
- How this SA tech company stopped being intimidated by Silicon Valley, and started winning global contracts