These are the best (and cheapest) ways to listen to streaming music in South Africa
Streaming is emerging as the dominant way music is consumed in the world these days.
In 2017, streaming music revenue - for the first time - surpassed income from the sale of traditional platforms such as CDs.
South Africans have more than eight music streaming platforms to choose from, all offering nearly identical offerings at the same price.
Prices for Apple Music, Spotify, Joox, Google Play and Deezer start at R59.99 a month, with Simfy Africa costing R60 and Jay-Z's Tidal costing roughly R135 a month.
Spotify (the world’s largest subscription-based streaming service) Joox, and Google Play music all also offer free versions of their platforms, with streamlined functions.
Business Insider South Africa compared the prices and functionality of music streaming services in South Africa:
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Coke wants you to get these South African names right, including Masixole and Tiaan
- The sucker-punch that is South Africa’s petrol price
- You have six days to get nominated for The Presidential Commission on the Fourth Industrial Revolution – and fix almost everything digital in South Africa
- Watch: These incredible toilets are changing the world
- The dagga business is booming already – even though nobody is officially selling any yet