These are SA's most popular TV adverts - including a disputed KFC ad
- The UK market research group Kantar has polled South Africans on their favourite ads in the first six months of 2018.
- Fast food brands like Chicken Licken, Nando's and KFC dominated the list.
- One KFC ad nearly missed the cut after being reported to SA's Advertising Authority.
The British multinational market research heavyweight Kantar Millward Brown has polled South Africans on their favourite ads in the first half of 2018.
The firm said in a report that they are seeing "creative competition" between fast food brands, with Chicken Licken, Nando's and KFC in particular engaging with customers via great story-telling.
These are the top 20 TV adverts for the first half of 2018.
First quarter of 2018
1. Nando's - "We can fix our Sh#t"
M&C Saatchi Abel
2. Kia Sportage 4x4 - "The Harrisons"
Old Friends Young Talent
3. VW Polo - "Red flashy thing"
Ogilvy, Cape Town
4. Oreo Biscuits - "Oreo dunk challenge - Shaquille O'Neal's acrobat skills"
The Martin Agency
5. Samsung Galaxy S9 - "The Camera. Reimagined"
6. VW Polo Vivo - "Share the ride"
Ogilvy Cape Town
7. Cadbury Dairy Milk Bubbly - "Elevator"
8. Sunlight Liquid - "Tough on plastic"
Mullen Lowe London
9. Huggies Nappy - "The world's first baby marathon"
10. Shield for Men deodorant - "Moses"
See also: 'Dangerous' KFC ad banned in SA
Second Quarter - 2018
1. KFC - "Travellator"
By: Ogilvy, Johannesburg
2. KFC - "Stop it! I like it!"
This ad nearly missed the cut following a complaint to SA's Advertising Standards Authority. The complainant objected against the ad's catch phrase 'Stop it!', which is also used in women and child abuse ads.
The Ads Authority, however, ruled that a reasonable viewer wouldn't connect the ad to sexual acts of abuse, given that the phrase 'Stop it!' is also commonly used to express enjoyment.
3. ClearScore - "Get your money sorted"
Big Rock Media
4. ACC 200 Tablets - "Sick of the snotties"
5. Voltaren Emulgel - "Linesman"
Saatchi & Saatchi
6. Assupol Funeral Plan - "Red light"
7. Sanlam Wealthsmiths - "Bright Idea"
8. Colgate Total toothpaste - "Totally ready"
9. Nescafé - "Soul of the bean"
Publicis Communications Johannesburg
10. Chicken Licken - "Sbu 2.0"
See also: These are the 7 best ads in SA right now, and they feature a robot called Sbu and an Icelandic Afrikaner
Receive a single WhatsApp every morning with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- This is officially what Apple’s cheapest new iPhone will cost in SA - R6,000 cheaper than the iPhone XS
- Some of SA's top gamers will battle it out in FIFA and Tekken in Soweto this weekend
- South African women are spending up to R100,000 to make their bums bigger - but doctors urge caution
- Big changes for Pick n Pay Smart Shoppers: you can swap points at tills and earn points for petrol
- People think this R14,000 scarf looks exactly like a vagina - and a luxury brand has been forced to withdraw it
- A large glass tower is planned for Port Elizabeth to honour Madiba - here's what it will look like
- 'Protect me from yourself' - SARS IT head's bizarre TV interview goes viral