Every year, some 2,000 new television ads are released in SA.
The international market research firm Kantar Millward Brown SA surveys South African viewers to establish which ads they respond to most.
These are the top 10 best liked ads from the list.
Creating an ad campaign that resonates with viewers is no easy business - just ask Heineken, Pepsi, Dove, H&M and Snapchat who all got it spectacularly wrong in recent times.
But a select group of companies are managing to nail it with television ads that are fresh and brilliantly executed, and - crucially - evoke a strong positive response from viewers.
The latter is measured by the international market research firm Kantar Millward Brown, who every year surveys a representative sample of the SA urban population to see how they respond to new TV ads.
Head of Marketing Communication at Kantar Millward Brown's Johannesburg office, Ilse Dinner, tells Business Insider South Africa that responses to about 2,000 brand new ads are tracked every week. The sample of viewers is recruited from the major metropolitan areas based on strict demographic quotas to ensure a representative TV viewing population.
According to their survey, here are some of the ads South Africans liked the most last year:
1. "Knox Seagull", for Samsung, by Ogilvy London.
2. "The Best Things Come In Glass", for Consol, by Grey Advertising.
3. "Tougher-er my Son", for Toyota (Hilux), by FCB Joburg.
4. "Engineered with Soul", for Audi (A5), by BBH London.
5. "Skafthinim", for Absa (Rewards), by FCB Joburg.
6. "Teka", for Oros by, King James Cape Town.
7. "Meg your day", for Vodacom, by Leo Burnett.
8. "Creations", for KFC, by Ogilvy and Mather Johannesburg.
9. "Road Trip", for Volvo (XC 90), by Forsman & Bodenfors Sweden.
10. "#ShareGenerous", for Mugg & Bean, by FoxP2.
Receive a single WhatsApp message every morning with all our latest news: Sign up here.