These are the top 10 academic schools in South Africa right now - with fees starting from R33,000 a year
- The top ten schools that wrote the national senior certificate exam boasted an average of three distinctions per pupil.
- Eden College Durban was the top-performing school in the country, achieving an average of 3.971 distinctions per pupil.
- Bloemhof High School was again the cheapest school on the list, asking R30,560 per pupil per annum.
- For more stories go to www.BusinessInsider.co.za.
The top 10 schools which wrote the national senior certificate (NSC) matric exam boasted an average of three distinctions per pupil, and a 99% bachelors pass rate.
A Business Insider South Africa comparison, based on data from education start-up Gradesmatch, found that Eden College Durban was the country’s top-performing school based on average distinctions (80% or more for a subject) per pupil.
Eden College Durban achieved an average of 3.971 distinctions per pupil, and a 100% bachelor's pass rate.
A bachelors pass rate is where pupils obtain at least 40% in a Home Language, 50% in four other subjects, and 30% in two other subjects.
Eden College in Durban was followed by Herschel Girls school in Cape Town, the top-performing school in 2018, with average distinctions of 3.92 per pupil.
Both are private schools.
Matric school fees at Eden College are R129,190 for 2020, and was R109,000 at Herschel Girls school in 2019.
Also read: These are the top 10 academic schools in South Africa right now - with fees starting from R33,000 a year
Bloemhof High School was for the second year in a row the cheapest school in the top 10 list, with 3,6 distinctions per pupil and asking R30,560 per pupil per annum.
Seven of the country’s top ten schools were in the Western Cape - up from six in 2018 - and six in Cape Town.
Receive a daily update on your cellphone with all our latest news: click here.
Also from Business Insider South Africa:
- Load shedding continues this week and 10 things you should know about Medupi, SA's troubled mega power station
- These are now the most expensive private day schools in SA
- Discovery is abandoning Vitality rewards points this week - here’s what you need to know
- Here's how much more you're paying for school supplies this year - we compare prices from Shoprite, Pick n Pay and others
- After a massive revolt, the old Rice Krispies are back – but pricier and imported from the UK
- Hit in the WhatsApp scam? Here's how to get your money back – at a price – if you are fast enough